Medicare Supplement Plan F offers the best coverage with out-of-pocket costs for your health insurance of the ten plans available.
However, Medicare Supplement Plan F enrollment is limited to those who became eligible for Medicare before Jan. 1, 2020.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan F Benefits
Medicare Plan F covers:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance (what you owe after the Medicare program pays its share) and hospital costs (up to an additional 365 days after Medicare benefits pay)
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayments
- First three pints of blood if you are injured or sick
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
- Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance
- Part A deductible of $1,556 in 2023. This is what beneficiaries pay when admitted to the hospital.
- Part B deductible ($226 in 2023)
- Part B excess charge
- Urgent and emergency inpatient care in the event of a foreign travel emergency (up to 80%)
Basic Medicare coverage includes:
- Hospital costs
- Outpatient care
- Medical appointments
- Preventative care and lab work
- Skilled nursing facility care
- Home health care
- Emergency service
While the federal government covers most fees associated with these services, beneficiaries share some costs after Medicare pays its approved amount. Medigap plans, such as Plan F, decrease costs by covering various copays, deductibles, and coinsurance fees.
Medicare Supplement Plan F Cost
Monthly premiums vary from state to state and among zip codes in the same state for Plan F coverage.
For example, for a 65-year-old female, nonsmoker Plan F monthly deductibles average:
- $176.63 in the 77450 zip code in Houston
|Plan type||Premium Range|
|Plan F||$180.00 – $300.00|
|Plan G||$117.00 – $220.00|
|Plan N||$90.00 – $200.00|
When can I enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan F plan?
First, you must sign up for Original Medicare, Parts A, and B. Then, you can enroll in Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan F.
The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your six-month Medigap open enrollment period. This automatically starts the first month you have Medicare Part B and are 65 or older.
This timeframe is the only chance to purchase a Medigap policy regardless of preexisting health problems. But unfortunately, insurers cannot consider your health conditions when pricing out the procedure.
However, if you can buy a Medigap policy after the open enrollment period, it may cost more because of past or present health problems.
Sometimes you may qualify for a special enrollment period if:
- You retire
- Your insurance company goes out of business
- You move to another zip code
Ready to learn more?
If you need help sorting through your options or understanding which path might be best for your situation, give us a call. One of our licensed Medicare Specialists would be glad to assist with the education process and can also help you apply for the plan of choice right over the phone.
Medigap Plan F faqs:
Is Plan F still available after 2020?
Plan F is still available for those who purchased it when eligible for a Medigap policy. However, it is unavailable for beneficiaries who became Medicare eligible on Jan. 1, 2020, or later.
Who qualifies for Plan F?
Those who became eligible for Medicare on or before Dec. 31, 2019, can purchase Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan F.
Does Medicare Plan F Have Provider Networks?
- You can seek treatment from any doctor in the United States that accepts standard Medicare.
- You won’t be required to get a referral for your doctor visits
- You’ll have the freedom of a no-provider network
- You can change doctors at anytime
- You have access to any hospital or healthcare facility that accepts standard Medicare.
Ready To Learn More?
We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the plan selection process. We work closely with some of the nation’s top-rated carriers. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medigap Insurance Carriers or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medigap Comparison Chart. Learn more about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.