Cigna health and life insurance has stood out as one of the top-rated companies. To help with your education and research, learn more about Cigna and the most popular Medicare Supplement policies this insurer offers. While you might be attracted to low premiums, the history, financial strength, and record for paying health care claims and providing customer service should also matter.
Key Take Aways
- Medicare Plan G is the fastest-growing Medigap Plan in America.
- Cigna Plans do not use a network; go wherever Original Medicare is accepted.
- Cigna offers a 30-day free look period on new policies.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan Options
If you choose Medicare Supplemental insurance, you must select a plan level that matches your budget, health needs, and preferences. Reviewing the most popular Medicare Supplement plan options may help you decide which is best for your needs.
These are the most popular Cigna Medigap plans:
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan G
You should also know that Medigap Plan G is quickly gaining in popularity. About 13 percent of Medicare Supplement owners choose this plan. That percentage is expected to grow, according to CSG Actuarial. The only difference between Cigna Medigap Plan G and F is that Plan G doesn’t pay the modest Part B annual deductible per calendar year. However, cheaper monthly rates may compensate for the difference between these two options.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan N
About 11 percent of Supplement owners decide to take Medigap Plan N. Beneficiaries can enjoy lower rates and fairly broad insurance coverage with Medigap Plan N. Unlike Plan F; it won’t pay the Part B deductible or Part B excess charges. You may incur “excess charges” if your medical provider wants to charge you more than Medicare coverage allows. Also, you may have to pay a modest co-payment for some doctor or emergency room visits. Still, this option is attractive for people who prefer lower monthly rates in exchange for reasonable out-of-pocket charges.
With Cigna Plan N, you are expected to cover the cost of copays such as:
- A $20 copay for office visits
- A $50 copay for ER visits
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan F
Plan F is only available to Medicare enrollees eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020. This is because plan F offers coverage for the Part B deductible.
In addition to the Part B deductible, Plan F covers the following:
- Part A hospital coinsurance
- Hospital costs up to 365 days after benefits through Original Medicare are exhausted
- Part A hospice care copays or coinsurance
- Part A deductible
- Part B deductible ($226 in 2023)
- Part B preventive office visit coinsurance
- Part B coinsurance or copays
- Excess charges for Medicare Part B
- First three pints of blood needed for a medical procedure
- Coinsurance for care in a skilled nursing facility
- Limited foreign travel emergency care
With Medigap Plan F, you get the most comprehensive insurance plan. It’s also the most popular Supplement in the United States. CSG Actuarial reported that over 40 percent of Medicare Supplement owners choose Medicare Plan F. If you want to pay your monthly payment and not worry about out-of-pocket costs, this is a good choice.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Cost
These are sample Medigap policy rates for a 65-year-old female who does not smoke and lives in Dallas, Texas. Of course, your rates will depend on your age, location, and other factors. While you should not expect your quoted prices to be the same as these, they should give you an excellent way to compare prices.
65-Year-Old Female Non-Smoking
Is Cigna a Good Insurance Company for Medicare Supplement Insurance?
Yes. Regarding health care coverage, Cigna and its affiliate companies, American Retirement Life Insurance Company and Loyal American Life Insurance Company, offer the best plan for most Medicare beneficiaries.
One of the Best Health Insurance Companies in 2023
Based in Bloomfield, Connecticut, Cigna is one of the country’s major health services and insurance providers. Through Cigna, you can purchase the following types of health care and life insurance plans:
- Plus, many other related products and services.
- Money-back guarantee for the first 30 days.
- Worldwide global customer base: 15 million
- Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage Customers: 1.2 million
- You can enjoy the freedom to call upon any U.S. doctor who accepts Medicare.
- Competitive premiums rates and household premium discounts.
Cigna is also a significant provider of health care through employer plans. In addition, they also offer other group plans for governmental or non-governmental organizations, unions, and associations.
Today, Cigna insurers serve over 180 million customer relationships in more than 30 countries and jurisdictions. And Cigna currently employs around 70,000 people.
How Does Cigna Stack Up?
Cigna got four out of five stars in our annual Best Health Insurance Companies review. In addition, they earned four out of five stars across the board for claims, price, customer service, website, and apps.
We asked Cigna customers if they would recommend Cigna to others, and 83% answered “Yes.” And 91% of Cigna customers told us they planned to renew their plan with Cigna.
Cigna Medigap Extra Benefits:
Each Medicare Supplement plan Cigna offers is eligible for additional non-insurance-related programs and savings benefits. These are made available to Cigna enrollees at no extra cost. In addition, if you decide to choose Cigna as your supplemental insurance provider, you can take advantage of their:
- Health Information Line is a toll-free telephone line that enrollees can use to talk with a trained nurse for guidance and support. The line is open 24 hours a day for your convenience.
- Cigna Healthy Rewards®- This program allows enrollees to enjoy discounts on health and wellness services such as Jenny Craig, vision and hearing care, fitness and weight management, massage, chiropractic care, acupuncture, and more.
When Can I Enroll in a Plan?
To be eligible for a Medicare Supplement plan with Cigna, you must enroll in both parts of Original Medicare, Part A and B. Beyond that, the first time you can enjoy a Guaranteed Enrollment Period is the six months that begin when you first turn 65 and enroll in Original Medicare. At this time, you don’t have to worry about getting declined or higher rates because you have pre-existing health issues.
If you still have creditable coverage through your job, union, or the government, you can delay this Guaranteed Enrollment period until you are ready to enroll in Part B. In addition, other situations may trigger a Guaranteed Enrollment Period. These include moving away from a Medicare Advantage Plan’s service area, having a plan pull out of the service area, and so on.
Please note: We are not Cigna; this is our general opinion of Cigna. Refer to your complete policy for full coverage details.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Cigna health programs give discounts for hearing exams, hearing aids, and hearing protection devices.
Cigna’s Healthy Rewards program offers discounts for enrollment in fitness clubs and fitness equipment.
We specialize in guiding Medicare beneficiaries through their Medicare insurance options. We work with some of the nation’s top-rated Medigap carriers to ensure you’re getting the best possible service. Review our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart and look deeper at the plans. Additionally, you can call us today to learn more or request a quote online.
- Key Features of Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan Options
- Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan G
- Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan N
- Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan F
- How Much Does a Medigap Plan Cost?
- What Do Cigna Medicare Supplements Cover?
- When Can I Apply for a Medicare Supplement Plan?
- How To Compare Medigap Plans
- CMS Medicare Services