As a Medicare beneficiary, you have many choices. If you decide to consider Cigna Medicare Supplement plans in 2018 to help enhance your Part A and Part B benefits, you should spend some time exploring the major Medicare companies that offer the best plans. While you might be attracted to low premiums, the history, financial strength, and record for paying claims and providing customer service should also matter.
Cigna Medicare Supplement insurance company has stood out as one very popular company that you might want to learn more about. In order to help with your research, find out more about Cigna and the most popular Medigap plans that this insurer offers. You also get a chance to view some sample prices. This can help you decide if Cigna or another health insurance company will be the best choice for you.
Cigna Medicare Supplements Overview
This company can trace the roots of some of its components back more than two centuries. Some of these ancestor insurers made their mark upon history.
These are some brief historical highlights of Cigna’s predecessor companies:
- Connecticut General: Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, one of Cigna’s predecessors, was famous for being one of a few insurers to pay claims in full after the Great Chicago Fire in 1871.
- INA: INA was established in the late 1700s, shortly after The Revolutionary War.
- The birth of Cigna: Just about one century after the Great Chicago Fire, in 1982, CG merged with INA to create Cigna Insurance Company.
Many Medicare beneficiaries would prefer to work with an established company for good reasons. Of course, you might wonder how well this company does now. It may also help to consider this brief overview of today’s Cigna:
- Worldwide global customer base: 15 million
- Medicare Part D Customers: 1.2 million
- Honors: Recognized multiple times as a “Top Corporate Citizen” by CR Magazine
Why Consider Cigna Medicare Supplement Plans in 2018?
You might already know that all Medicare Supplement plan carriers have to offer the same benefits for the same plan level. For example, Plan N will cover the same things if you buy it from Cigna or one of its competitors. At first, you may just notice that each insurer sets their own prices. Many times, you are advised to consider the premium since the coverage won’t change from company to company.
These are some things that might set Cigna Medicare Supplement plans apart from other Medicare insurance choices:
- These Medicare Supplements come with a money-back guarantee for the first 30 days.
- You can enjoy the freedom to call upon any U.S. doctor who accepts Medicare.
- You won’t have to get a referral to visit a specialist.
- You also enjoy your Medigap plans all across the country, so you won’t have to worry about finding a network doctor when you travel.
- You don’t have to worry about yearly benefit changes because Cigna Medicare Supplements are very stable.
According to recent J.D. Powers surveys, Cigna Medicare Supplement plans have been one of the most highly rated health insurance companies when it comes to customer satisfaction. The company offers the technology to make applying and managing insurance convenient, and they also provide customer service to qualified representatives. Knowing that you can get help when you need it can offer you peace of mind, and it may also help you save time and money.
Policy owners get to enjoy first-dollar insurance for many expenses, freedom from plan networks, and a consistent plan that won’t change from year to year. You can use your plan all across the country. Some plan options even help pay for medical expenses in other countries.
The Most Popular Cigna Medigap Plans for 2018
If you choose Medicare Supplemental insurance, you also have to choose a plan level that provides a good match between your budget, health needs, and preferences. Reviewing the most popular Cigna Medicare Supplement plans may help you decide which one is best for your own needs.
These are the most popular Cigna Medigap plans:
- Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan F: With Medicare Plan F, you get the most comprehensive insurance plan. It’s also the most popular Supplement in the United States. CSG Actuarial reported that over 40 percent of Medicare Supplement owners choose Medicare Plan F. If you want to pay your monthly payment and not worry about out-of-pocket costs, this is a good choice for you.
- Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan G: You should also know that Plan G is quickly gaining in popularity. About thirteen percent of Medicare Supplement owners choose this plan. That percentage is expected to grow, according to CSG Actuarial. The only difference between Medicare Plan G and F is that Plan G doesn’t pay the modest Part B deductible. Cheaper monthly rates may make up for that difference between these two options.
- Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan N: About 11 percent of Supplement owners decide to take Plan N. Beneficiaries can enjoy lower rates and fairly broad insurance. Unlike Plan F, it won’t pay the Part B deductible or Part B excess charges. You may incur “excess charges” if your medical provider wants to charge you more than Medicare allows for. Also, for some visits to the doctor or emergency room, you may have to pay a modest copayment. Still, this option is attractive for people who would prefer lower monthly rates in exchange for modest out-of-pocket charges.
Why are these three Medicare Supplement plans the top choices? Plan F will probably always be popular with people who would rather just pay a bit more and enjoy comprehensive protection from the vast majority of medical expenses. In that way, Plan G is very similar an unlikely to disappoint you. Remember that the only difference is that Plan G doesn’t pay the annual deductible amount for Part B.
If you don’t mind the risk of paying a few copayments, you may prefer the savings that you can enjoy with Plan N. Out of these three choices; only Plan N doesn’t cover excess charges. They all pay 80 percent of urgent medical care expenses overseas, so this is handy if you plan to travel outside of the country. All three of these choices offer broad protection against most medical expenses.
When Can You Enroll in Cigna Medicare Supplement Plans in 2018?
You need to enroll in both parts of Original Medicare, Part A, and B, in order to buy a Medicare Supplement plan with Cigna. Beyond that, the first time you can enjoy a Guaranteed Enrollment Period is the six months that begin when you first turn 65 and enroll in Original Medicare. At this time, you don’t have to worry about getting declined or higher rates because you have pre-existing health issues.
If you still have credible coverage through your job, union, or the government, own you can delay this Guaranteed Enrollment period until you are ready to enroll in Part B. There are also other situations that may trigger a Guaranteed Enrollment Period. These include moving away from a Medicare Advantage Plan’s service area, having a plan pull out of service area, and so on. These are fully covered on the Medicare website.
Sample Prices for Cigna Medicare Supplement Plans in 2018
Note that we’re not endorsed or sponsored by Cigna. These are sample Medicare Supplement rates for a 65-year-old man who does not smoke in some selected areas of the country. Your rates might depend on your age, location, and other factors. While you should not expect your quoted prices to be the same as these, they should give you a good way to compare prices.
Also, note that these sample prices were from selected counties, and Cigna Medigap plans can vary by county or ZIP code:
- Plan F: $174
- Plan G: $141
- Plan F: $212
- Plan G: $145
- Plan F: $197
- Plan G: $160
The point of these sample prices is simply to demonstrate how prices vary. By choosing Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan N over Cigna Medicare Plan F, you might save an average of $50 to $60 or more each month. On the other hand, you may have to make copayments that will eat into your savings or even cost you money. Remember, that these are standard prices. If you apply outside of a Guaranteed Acceptance Period, you might risk having to pay more.
You also won’t get excess charges covered if you choose Plan N. If doctors or other medical provider charges more than Medicare says that they should, Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan F and Cigna Medicare Plan G will pay the difference. This gives you more freedom to choose doctors without worrying how much they charge.
If you’d like to save some money and don’t mind paying the Part B deductible, you might consider Cigna Medicare Plan G as a compromise. This year, the Medicare Part B deductible was only $187 a year. Of course, just a fe3w visits to the doctor can meet this deductible pretty quickly. Specialists may charge this much for one visit. Depending upon the difference in price for each plan, it may save you money to just pay it from your pocket or to buy the most robust plan.
If you think you might need to visit the doctor or a clinic frequently, Plan F might still be a more frugal choice than Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan G. As with almost any kind of health insurance; you have to weigh the price against the chance of needing to use your insurance. Remember that more people select Plan F than any other Medicare Supplement plan, and this is true even though it usually costs the most.
Why Consider Cigna Medicare Supplement Plans in 2018?
Cigna has proven themselves as a reliable insurance company for many years. This insurer has strong financial backing, experience with millions of customers, and an excellent rating for customer satisfaction. They rely on the latest technology and personal service to provide Medicare Supplements, Medicare Advantage, and Part D to their customers. These are all good reasons to consider this insurer.
Of course, this company is also popular because they price their Medicare Supplements competitively in most markets. They might not be the cheapest provider where you live, but you may prefer them over a competitor without their established brand recognition. You are always urged to compare a variety of factors when you choose the best health insurance company for your own needs.
Request Quotes for Cigna Medicare Supplement Plans Online
As you could see in the sample prices above, the quotes for Cigna Medicare Supplement plans in 2018 can vary by plan level and by location. Of course, these were just quotes for Medigap plans from selected counties in California, Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Arizona. Your quotes will almost certainly be different because of your address, age, and other factors.
If you would like to compare personalized quotes for Medigap plans, we would like to offer you two options. You can use our online Medicare Supplement quote box at any time. You are also welcome to contact us by phone for live help with a qualified agent. We hope we can offer you the information that will help you make the right decision about your Medicare insurance. If you choose Cigna or a competitor, we want to make sure you pick the best plan for you.
Please note: We are not Cigna, this is our general opinion of Cigna Medicare Supplement plans. Refer to your complete policy for full coverage details.