High Deductible Plan F is one of 10 standardized Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap plans) that help seniors pay medical expenses such as deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance that Original Medicare does not cover. Original Medicare consists of two parts:
- Medicare Part A: hospital costs such as semi-private room, meals, supplies, and medications (You do not pay a Part A premium.)
- Medicare Part B: medical costs such as doctor’s office visits, clinical laboratory services, durable medical equipment, and emergency room care (You pay a monthly Medicare Part B premium.)
What is covered by High Deductible Medigap Plan F?
Some out-of-pocket expenses you are responsible for can be steep, such as your Medicare Part A deductible. The 20% Part B coinsurance from multiple doctor’s office visits can add up pretty quickly, too. Those sizable cost-share amounts are why many seniors seek additional benefits through Medicare Supplement insurance.
High Deductible Plan F covers all medical services approved by Original Medicare. Those medical services include:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance
- Part A hospital costs up to 365 days after you use your Medicare benefits.
- Medicare Part A deductible
- Part A hospice care
- Medicare Part B coinsurance
- Medicare Part B copayments
- Medicare Part B deductible
- Medicare Part B excess charges
- First 3 pints of blood for transfusion
- Coinsurance for skilled nursing facility care
- Foreign travel emergencies (up to plan limits)
What is not covered by High Deductible Medicare Supplement Plan F?
High-deductible Plan F does not cover the following services:
- Cosmetic procedures
- Experimental procedures or drugs
- Hearing aids or exams
- Vision, including routine eye exams and eyeglasses
How Much Does High Deductible Medigap Plan F Cost?
The primary benefits covered by Medigap High Deductible Plan F are the same regardless of which insurance company markets the Medigap policy. High Deductible Plan F rates, however, will vary between insurance carriers. The difference in Medigap High Deductible Plan F rates hinges on several demographic factors:
- Zip code
- Health status
- Household discounts
Below are the prices for a 65-year-old non-tobacco female living in 30008, Georgia
|Plan type||Premium Range|
|Plan F||$180.00 – $300.00|
|Plan G||$117.00 – $220.00|
|Plan N||$90.00 – $200.00|
When can I enroll in High Deductible Plan F?
You can join a Medicare Supplement insurance plan any time after you turn 65 and are eligible for Medicare. However, your Medigap Open Enrollment Period is the best time to join. Your open enrollment period starts in the month you’re both age 65 and enrolled in Medicare Part B.
If you sign up during your open enrollment period, insurance companies cannot ask you health questions or require medical underwriting. However, if you enroll outside your open enrollment period, health insurance carriers can require medical underwriting for approval.
There are a few special enrollment periods where you can join High Deductible Plan F without submitting a health history or answering health questions. Some states have a birthday rule that allows you to change Medigap carriers without underwriting. Those states are:
Every insurance company handles underwriting differently for each particular medical condition. If you have health conditions, it will benefit you to speak with one of our Medicare supplement specialists. We can assist you in finding the best company, the best Medicare Supplement plan, and the best rate that meets your specific situation.
To keep your Medigap High Deductible Plan F in force, you must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium.
What Companies Offer High Deductible Medicare Plan F?
At My Medigap Plans, we have connections to an extensive network of insurance companies offering High Deductible Plan F. Over time; our insurance agents have identified the following carriers as the best Medicare Supplement insurance companies to work with:
We feel that these three companies are the best ones for a variety of reasons:
- Financially stable
- Longevity in the health insurance field
- Excellent ratings
- Fast turnaround time
- Excellent customer service