Most Medicare beneficiaries love Aetna Medicare Supplement plans in 2018 because they allow access to great doctors and control costs. Aetna Medicare Supplement plans have been helping seniors pay for health care for many decades. This guide to Aetna Medicare Supplemental insurance that they offer can help you decide if this is a good choice for you.
A Short History of Aetna Medicare Supplement Plans
First, you should know that this company has been around a long time. Aetna first opened its doors as a life insurance company in 1850. In 1963, an agent in Houston sold life insurance to the first astronauts and also convinced his company to accept those policies before the men ventured into space. Happily, that deal worked out well for the astronauts and the insurer’s brand.
Some of you may have first become familiar with Aetna because of the life or Medicare Supplement plan products they offer for individuals, groups, and families. This company actively markets both individual and group health insurance. You may have concerns because you heard that Aetna has pulled some medical insurance from the Health Insurance Marketplace.
This a quick summary of Aetna’s current position in the market:
- A.M. Best financial score: A (Excellent)
- Number of health insurance members: Over 23 million
- Number of prescription policy members: 15.2 million
Besides offering Medicare Supplement plans, Aetna has also focused on promoting health and wellness in the communities that they serve. To that end, they promote a lot of charitable events that help raise money for good causes. They also encourage their employees to volunteer in these kinds of events. Some examples of larger organizations that Aetna helps sponsor include Race for the Cure, the American Heart Association, and the Marine Corps Marathon.
A reputation for good customer service, stable rates, and the right insurance products for their customers has allowed Aetna to maintain a good position in the market. Since this company has been in the insurance business for well over the century, it’s fairly safe to predict they will be around for many years in the future. Unlike other kinds of medical insurance, Aetna Medicare Supplement plans have remained very stable over the years. With an Aetna Supplement, you won’t have to worry about changes every year.
Why Consider Aetna Medicare Supplement Plans in 2018?
Aetna paid their very first Medicare insurance claim in 1966, only a few years after Medicare opened its doors. If you consider purchasing an Aetna Medicare supplement plan for 2018, you can be assured that you’ll do business with a company with a lot of experience in the market. Many companies have moved in and out of the top-seller ranks for Medigap plans, but Aetna has managed to keep a strong position by offering customers stability. The company also designs policies that are well tailored to the market. They keep their customer’s budgets and healthcare needs in mind.
Aetna Medicare Supplement Plan Flexibility
There are some reasons to consider Medicare Supplements over Advantage:
- No networks: The first problem is that almost all MA plan protection relies upon HMO or PPO networks, and many top treatment centers for critical diseases do not participate in the provider networks. With a Supplement, you can use your policy with any doctor or clinic that accepts Medicare.
- Freedom to travel: If you plan to spend some of your retirement traveling, you can be assured of access to healthcare anywhere in the country. Some Medicare Supplement plan options even cover foreign health care expenses. If you have an Advantage plan, you will have network restrictions that won’t offer you the same kind of access.
- Access to top specialists and doctors: You won’t have to visit a primary care doctor just to get referrals to specialists. Excess charges refer to the amount of money that medical providers might charge over the amount that Medicare says that they should.
In general, beneficiaries have been very satisfied with Supplement insurance. In surveys, over 90 percent of people who owned Medicare Supplements said they were satisfied by a combination of Original Medicare and their Supplement protection.
Compare the Most Popular Aetna Medicare Supplement Plans in 2018
One of the good things about Medicare Supplement plans is that they are all standardized by the government. Most states rely on federal standards; however, a few states have created their own standards. Once you decide which plan offers you the best protection for your needs, you are free to simply compare prices and insurance companies.
This is a brief overview of the popular Aetna Medicare Supplement plans for 2018 that we often suggest to clients:
- Aetna Medicare Supplement Plan F: Nationally, people choose Medicare Plan F more than any of the other Supplements. Since this Supplement offers the widest range of protection against health care expenses, it’s also the most expensive. It appeals to people who would just prefer to pay their premium and not worry about deductibles, copays, coinsurance, and access to doctors.
- Aetna Medicare Supplement Plan G: Plan G might be a good bargain for people who would like to save money. It’s only different from Plan F because it won’t pay the Part B deductible. In 2017, this deductible was only $182, so if it’s possible to save that much on payments during the year, Plan G can be a good deal. This is probably why Plan G has become an increasingly popular choice over the years.
- Aetna Medicare Supplement Plan N: This plan requires members to pay modest copays for some visits to the doctor or the emergency room. Also, it leaves out protection against excess charges. It’s usually considerably cheaper than Plan F or G, so it might be the best choice for a relatively healthy person who doesn’t mind paying for some modest expenses out of their pocket.
Best Aetna Medicare supplement plans for 2018
If you plan to travel and would prefer to just pay for your insurance and not worry about most healthcare costs, you might be happiest with Plan F. It’s very likely that Aetna Medicare Supplement Plan G can provide you with almost the same advantages, and if you see that your quotes are at least $20 a month cheaper, it’s hardly a big risk.
If you plan to travel and would prefer to just pay for your Medigap insurance and not worry about most healthcare costs, you might be happiest with Plan F. It’s very likely that Aetna Medicare Supplement Plan G can provide you with almost the same advantages, and if you see that your quotes are at least $20 a month cheaper, it’s hardly a big risk. If you do get sick, the plan will still cover most of the costs.
It’s difficult to predict the future:
- The government could increase the Part B deductible.
- You could need more healthcare in the future because of an illness or accident.
- Also, it’s difficult to predict how many doctors will charge more than Medicare says they should in the coming years.
In short, retirees may select Aetna’s Medicare Supplement plan F because they want to make sure they can manage their healthcare costs in the future.
Enrolling in Aetna Medicare Supplement Plans for 2018
Unlike with Medicare Advantage, there aren’t any certain times of the year that you have to wait for the enrollment period. There are times when you can enroll in Medigap plans without having to answer any health questions. For instance, you get a Guaranteed Enrollment Period when you first turn 65 and become qualified for Medicare Part A and B.
If you can prove certain other circumstances, you may also get to enroll without having to fill out a health application. These are some examples:
- You lose insurance from a union, employer, or the government.
- You move away from the company’s service area.
- You lose insurance because your insurance company decided to move away from your local area or failed financially.
If you don’t have a Guaranteed Enrollment Period, you may still qualify for an Aetna Medigap plan. You can find out by answering a few questions on an application. You shouldn’t assume that these Medicare Supplement insurance companies won’t take you because of certain controlled medical issues.
Sample Rates for Aetna Medicare Supplement Plans for 2018
Naturally, the price you have to pay each month for your Medigap could impact your choices. Typically, retired people need to manage their budgets carefully. To help you understand how much Supplements might cost, you can view some sample monthly rates for different Aetna Supplements.
These are for a man who lives in selected areas, is just turning 65, and doesn’t smoke:
- Plan F: $193
- Plan G: $144
- Plan N: $122
- Plan F: $229
- Plan G: $204
- Plan N: $162
- Plan F: $214
- Plan G: $161
- Plan N: $134
Note: Your age, exact ZIP code, and in some cases, your medical condition could make your prices higher or lower. You should also know that we only provide these sample prices as a courtesy and aren’t endorsed or supported by Aetna.
These are some tips that might help you choose the right Aetna Medicare Supplement plan for your healthcare needs and budget:
- Again, if you’d prefer a set-it-and-forget-it Medigap plan, Plan F is likely to satisfy you. It covers all expenses and even pays for a few things that Medicare doesn’t. This includes foreign travel and excess charges.
- It’s possible that you’d save money every year if you choose Plan G because the Plan B deductible might not be as high as the extra amount you’d pay each year. In these examples, the difference between Plan F and G is $40 or $50 a month, and this year’s Part B deductible is only $182. If things stay the same, you could make up the difference in about three or four months.
Why We Recommend Aetna Medicare Supplement Plans in 2018 to Many Clients
Aetna has established themselves for many decades as a top performer in the Medicare Supplement market. In addition, they have won clients over with a reputation for stable and competitive rates and consumer-friendly products. The company also combines efficient technology with good customer service.
Depending on your situation or location, Aetna may or may not be the best choice for you. The company is certainly worth adding to your list to compare.
Quotes for Aetna Medicare Supplement Plans
To get started, just enter your state in the drop-down menu right here on our website. If you prefer, give us a call to speak with one of our qualified agents.
In the end, you might choose Aetna or another insurer. We aren’t here to sell you on one company or one insurance choice. Our mission is to give you the answers that you need to make the right decision about Medicare Supplement plans.
Please note: We are not Aetna, this is our general opinion of Aetna Medicare supplement plans. Refer to your complete policy for full coverage details.