Best Medicare Supplement Plans in Oregon – F, G & N Benefits
The best Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Oregon are ideal for Medicare recipients who live across the state. If you have enrolled in Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B, then it’s time to start shopping around for Medicare Supplement plans in Oregon. Even though you can have original Medicare insurance alone, Medigap policies are the best choice for many people.
Overview of Medicare Supplement Plans in Oregon
Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Oregon refer to a type of coinsurance that can be purchased from an insurance company that offers these plans. A few of the key things you should know about Medigap plans in Oregon have been listed here:
- Medicare Supplement plans are not a replacement for original Medicare insurance. Although that is the case for Medicare Advantage plans, Medicare Supplement insurance plans — which are also known as Medigap plans — work with original Medicare.
- Rates for Medicare Supplement plans in Oregon are often more affordable than many people think, especially if you are willing to compare rates rather than buying from the first Medicare insurance company that you come across. As a Medicare beneficiary, you can save even more on your healthcare with a Medigap plan.
- You will pay a monthly payment for your plan.
- Only one person can be covered by a policy. If you are married and want both you and your spouse to enjoy the benefits of this additional coverage, then you will each need to sign up for a policy.
- You have to have both Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B to qualify for one of these plans.
- Even though Medigap rates in Oregon vary from company to company, insurance companies are all required to offer the exact same benefits for each plan.
- Your policy will be guaranteed renewable as long as you make all of your payments on time, even if you face new health concerns and even as you get older.
Best Types of Medicare Supplement Plans are Oregon
There are 10 different Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Oregon that you can compare rates and benefits for. The different types of Medigap plans in Oregon are Medicare Plan F, N, G, C, A, K, D, B, L, and M.
There are still some people who are under older Medigap plans in Oregon, such as Plans E, H, I and J. Those who have those plans are grandfathered in, so you cannot purchase these plans. However, of the above-mentioned Medicare Supplement plans in Oregon, you do have a few options to compare the benefits, copayments, rates, premiums, deductibles, and coverage for. The best Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Oregon for many people is Plan F, but this might not be the best plan for you. Therefore, it’s key to compare rates and coverage of different Medigap options to choose the right one for you.
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan F in Oregon:
The Medicare Supplement plan that is going to give you the most coverage is Medigap Plan F in Oregon. This health plan helps residents of Portland and elsewhere in Oregon enjoy much more than the standard Medicare benefits.
As you can see by the list of benefits below, this plan type is well worth the higher monthly premiums in most cases:
- Part A hospital coinsurance
- Hospital costs up to 365 days after benefits through Original Medicare are exhausted
- Part A hospice care copays or coinsurance
- Part A deductible
- Part B deductible
- Part B preventive office visit coinsurance
- Part B coinsurance or copays
- Excess charges for Medicare Part B
- First three pints of blood needed for a medical procedure
- Coinsurance for care in a skilled nursing facility
- Limited foreign travel emergency care
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan G in Oregon:
The second most popular Medicare Supplement is Medigap Plan G in Oregon. If you buy this plan from an insurance company, you can enjoy all of the benefits — except for coverage for the Medicare Part B deductible — that you would have with Plan F, but at a lower rate.
- Does NOT cover Medicare Part B deductible
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan N in Oregon:
You can also buy Medigap Plan N in Oregon from a health insurance agency. This doesn’t have the most comprehensive benefits of the Medicare plans, but it offers a nice compromise since it has lower monthly premiums but still offers a decent amount of coverage. Of course, if you choose this cheaper plan, you’ll have to pay some out-of-pocket costs. After all, companies can keep rates low because it’s a type of cost-sharing plan.
- Does NOT cover Part B Deductible
- Does NOT cover Excess Charges for Part B
- Requires $20 copay for office visits
- Requires $50 copay for emergency room visits
Medicare Supplement Plans in Oregon: When Can I Enroll?
You don’t have to purchase Medicare Supplement insurance plans during your Medigap Open Enrollment Period. However, it is often suggested for people to find the best Medicare Supplement plan in Oregon and then sign up during their Initial Enrollment Period.
If you are not aware of what the Initial Enrollment Period is, it refers to the federally required six-month period after you first sign up for Medicare Part B. It’s best to look for and purchase the best Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Oregon during this time period for these reasons:
- You cannot be denied coverage because of medical underwriting issues.
- You must be offered the best available rate regardless of your health status.
- There are limitations to exclusions that are related to any pre-existing conditions that you might have.
The same time that you purchase an Oregon Medicare Supplement plan — whether Plan A or Plan F — is a good time to talk to an insurance agent about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan. Medicare prescription drug plans are designed for Medicare beneficiaries to use in addition to Original Medicare and any Supplement that they might have. This prescription drug coverage is yet another way to reduce out-of-pocket costs.
Medicare Supplement Plans in Oregon: Enrollment Statistics
Listed below are the top five most populated counties in Oregon. You do not have to live in one of these counties to take advantage of Medicare Supplement plans in Oregon.
- Multnomah County
- Washington County
- Clackamas County
- Lane County
- Marion County
- There are more than 441,000 recipients of Medicare Part A, Part B or both in Oregon.
- Of these 441,000 Medicare beneficiaries, over 134,000 individuals have Medigap policies.
- Almost 100,000 of the individuals who have Medigap policies in Oregon have Plan F.
Oregon Medicare Resources
There are state and U.S. government resources that Medicare beneficiaries in Oregon and throughout the United States can use to learn more about Medicare coverage and their additional plan options. Make use of these resources to learn more about the federal Medicare program and how you can get more out of it.
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Related Topics for Comparing Medicare Supplement Companies and Plans in Oregon
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the process of plan selection. We work closely with some of the nations top rated carriers such as Aetna, Cigna and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more or about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.