If you want to avoid some out-of-pocket costs that come with the federal Medicare program, consider enrolling in a Medicare Supplement plan in Oregon when you’re eligible for Social Security benefits. These plans are designed to extend your Medicare benefits while easing the stress of copayments, coinsurance, excess charges, and deductibles.
Medicare Supplement Plan options in Oregon
Are you ready to compare your Medigap plan options? There are ten Medigap policies available in Oregon, but the following four are the best plans for most Medicare beneficiaries.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan F
- If you want your Medicare benefits to feel more like the private insurance you had before retirement, Medicare Plan F is a great option.
- Eligibility is limited to beneficiaries with a Medicare Part B effective date prior to January 1, 2020.
- Coverage includes deductibles and coinsurance for Medicare Part A and B, Part B Excess Charges, and foreign travel emergency coverage.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G
- The most comprehensive option for beneficiaries with an Original Medicare effective date on or after January 1, 2020.
- Medicare Plan G coverage is the same as Medicare Plan F except for the Medicare Part B deductible. The Medicare Part A deductible and Part B coinsurance are included in plan limits.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan N
- Medicare Plan N offers lower premiums balanced by less comprehensive coverage.
- Includes Part A and Part B coinsurance except for up to $20 copay per doctor’s visit and up to $50 copay per emergency room visit.
- Doesn’t include Part B excess charges or deductible.
- Part A deductible is covered along with foreign travel emergency care.
High-Deductible Medicare Plan G
- Offers the lowest monthly premiums available for all Medicare beneficiaries.
- Beneficiaries must meet the deductible of $2,490 out of pocket annually before accessing all Plan G benefits.
Top rated Medicare Supplement Companies in Oregon
The list of private Medicare insurance companies authorized to sell Medigap plans in Oregon is lengthy, but they aren’t all competitive in pricing and financially stable. Therefore, we recommend the following options for all beneficiaries looking for a Medigap insurance insurer in 2022.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Cost in Oregon
Your zip code, age, and tobacco use all impact the cost of your Medigap plan in Oregon. As an illustration of potential premiums, consider the 2022 quotes generated for a female beneficiary in Oregon zip code 97045. This beneficiary doesn’t smoke and is 65 years old.
|Plan type||Premium Range|
|Plan F||$180.00 – $300.00|
|Plan G||$117.00 – $220.00|
|Plan N||$90.00 – $200.00|
When Can I Apply for a Medicare Supplement Plan?
The State of Oregon gives you the following options to enroll in Medicare Supplement insurance plans:
- Enroll during your Medigap Open Enrollment Period. It starts the first day of the month that you sign up for Medicare Part B and are 65. The Medicare insurance company must accept your application for any Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Oregon. It cannot base your rate on pre-existing or current health conditions. Therefore, most Medicare beneficiaries will receive the lowest rates during this period.
- Enroll at any time after your Open Enrollment Period. If you qualify for a special guaranteed enrollment, you will enjoy the same guaranteed issue rights listed above for the initial period. If not, you will go through medical underwriting and aren’t guaranteed acceptance into a plan.
Once you’re enrolled in a Medigap plan in Oregon, you have the option to switch to a plan with equal or less coverage every year after your birthday. Your eligibility for this optional switch period starts on your birthday and lasts for 30 days every year.
Ready to learn more?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the plan selection process. We work closely with some of the nation’s top-rated carriers, such as Aetna, Cigna, and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.
|Aetna Medigap Plan G|
Cigna Medigap Plan G
|Mutual of Omaha Plan G|
Medicare Supplements 2023
Oregon Medicare Resources
Oregon Enrollment Statistics
Listed below are the top five most populated counties in Oregon. You do not have to live in one of these counties to take advantage of Medicare Supplement plans in Oregon.
- Multnomah County
- Washington County
- Clackamas County
- Lane County
- Marion County
- There are more than 441,000 recipients of Medicare Part A, Part B, or both in Oregon.
- Of these 441,000 Medicare beneficiaries, over 134,000 individuals have Medigap policies.
- Almost 100,000 individuals with Medigap policies in Oregon have Plan F.