If you’re wondering why you should consider Humana Medigap plans, consider these benefits in comparison to Medicare Advantage plans:
- Works with your Medicare coverage (Medicare Part A and B)
- Unlike with an HMO or PPO, you have freedom from network restrictions; choose any doctor in the United States that accepts original Medicare
- No referrals required
- Coverage in all 50 states, making traveling a breeze
- No annual plan changes as each plan level benefits are standardized
- Very predictable and reliable
- Preferred by most doctors and hospitals
- Plenty of options are available when shopping for Medicare Supplement insurance plans (Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan K, Plan L, and more)
Humana Medicare Supplement Plan F
Suppose you are wondering which of the Humana Medicare Supplement plans you should pick. In that case, you will first want to look at Humana Medicare Supplement Plan F. Medigap Plan F is the most popular of the Medigap plans throughout the country. This is because it’s one of the most comprehensive plans with the most coverage. Of course, along with this better coverage, you can expect to pay higher monthly premiums. However, Humana Medigap plans are often pretty affordable, and you can compare rates with other companies to ensure you’re getting a good deal.
Humana Medicare Supplement Plan F allows you to enjoy all of these benefits so that you can save on out-of-pocket costs that aren’t covered by Medicare Parts A and B:
- Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance
- The hospital costs up to 365 days after benefits through Original Medicare are exhausted
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copays
- Part A deductible
- Part B deductible
- Part B preventive office visit coinsurance
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copays
- Medicare Part B excess charges
- First three pints of blood needed for a medical procedure
- Coinsurance for care in a skilled nursing facility
- Limited foreign travel emergency care
Unlike other Medicare plans, Medigap Plan F is available as either a standard or high deductible plan. A high deductible Medicare plan F might be an option if you want lower premiums but maximum additional benefits on top of your Medicare benefits. If you choose High Deductible Plan F out of the Humana Medicare Supplement plans, be prepared to pay the deductible before your benefits kick in.
Humana Medicare Supplement Plan G
Medigap Plan G is the fastest growing plan level, and it’s getting increasingly popular every year. According to CSG Actuarial, 13 percent of Medicare beneficiaries with Medigap coverage were on Plan G in 2016. This number is only expected to rise, and you can become a part of this growth by signing up for Humana Medicare Supplement Plan G. If you’re interested in Medigap Plan F, Humana Medicare Supplement Plan G is worth some consideration, too.
- The Medicare Part B deductible is not paid for with Medigap Plan G, although it is paid for with Medigap Plan F. This is the only difference between the two plans.
- Medigap Plan F will be phased out in 2020, but Medigap Plan G will still be available.
- Monthly premiums are often noticeably cheaper than Medigap Plan F, which often makes up for the Medicare Part B deductible not being covered.
Humana Medicare Supplement Plan N
According to CSG Actuarial, 11 percent of beneficiaries of Medigap plans have Humana Medicare Supplement Plan N. You might want to consider this popular plan when shopping for Humana Medicare Supplement plans. Humana Medicare Supplement Plan N is a popular plan because it covers many costs, although it is not as comprehensive as Plan G or Plan F. However, monthly premiums are generally significantly cheaper, making it a good option for the cost-conscious who don’t mind some cost-sharing.
- The Medicare Part B deductible is not covered
- Medicare Part B Excess Charges are not included
- You do have to pay a copay for doctor’s office visits ($20) or emergency room visits ($50)
Do Humana Medigap Plans Include a Medicare Part D plan?
Humana Medicare Supplement plans do not include Medicare Part D prescription drug plans. This is true of all Supplement plans from the best Medicare Supplement insurance companies. Therefore, you must buy a Medicare Part D drug plan separately if you want prescription drug coverage. You can purchase your plan from Humana or any other company that offers them; you do not have to buy your Supplement plan from the same company from which you purchased your prescription drug plan.
Additionally, be prepared that some other basic benefits — such as hearing aids, vision care, and more — are not included. This is because Original Medicare does not cover these things, and Medicare Supplements are designed to fill in the gaps. Many Medicare Advantage plans do have this type of coverage, though.
When Can I Enroll in A Humana Medicare Supplement Plan?
Around the time that you first turn 65 years of age, you will have six months to sign up for Humana Medicare Supplement plans. It’s best to sign up during this Initial Election Period/Medicare Enrollment Period. You are not subject to medical underwriting during this time, and you have guaranteed issue rights. This helps you ensure that you can purchase the plan you want and help you avoid higher rates due to health conditions.
A special period is also triggered under certain circumstances, such as:
- You sign up for Medicare Part B at a later time than when you’re first eligible
- You lose your employer benefits
- You move out of your Medicare Advantage plan’s service area
- Your insurer does not renew its contract with Medicare
It’s best to sign up for Humana Medicare Supplement plans, such as Plans M, K, N, or any other plan, during one of these times if you can. However, you can sign up at any time. You’ll want to compare rates for Medicare Supplement plans if you sign up outside of a special enrollment period, however, to increase your chances of approval and to get the best rates.
Humana Medicare Supplement Plans Review
Overall, Humana is a great company to buy your Supplemental policy. It’s a well-known, reputable company, making it very reliable, especially in comparison to some of the “mom and pop” companies that have been popping up over the past few years. It has good A.M. Best ratings and is well-known for providing customer satisfaction with its health and life insurance plan options. Plus, Humana offers multiple plans in multiple areas, so it might be the best provider for you when shopping for Plans A through N to supplement the federal Medicare program.
Since they aren’t the largest provider of Medicare Supplement plans, rates may increase over time. However, overall, Humana is a company that you should pay attention to when shopping for Medicare Supplement plans online.
Of course, you should compare your options before buying one of Humana’s Medicare Supplement plans. Comparing rates from top companies like Aetna, Mutual of Omaha, and Cigna can help you ensure you’re getting the best deal. We make this easy, though.
First, you can look at our Medicare Supplement plans comparison chart to decide which plan you’re interested in. Then, you can compare Medicare Supplement plan quotes on our website to find the best policy with the best quotes. We can also help you with securing quotes over the phone. So give us a call today and talk to one of our licensed insurance agents so that we can help you find the best policy to supplement your Medicare Part A and Part B coverage.