Beneficiaries unsatisfied with the gaps in their Medicare benefits may consider enrolling in one of 10 Medicare Supplement plans in Alaska. While Advantage plans replace Original Medicare, Medicare Supplemental plans complement the original benefits. Medicare Supplement plans in Alaska allow beneficiaries to eliminate the out-of-pocket costs that come with the federal Medicare program.
Medicare Supplement Plan options in Alaska:
The first step in choosing between Medigap policies is to compare the benefits and costs of all plan options. There are three supplemental insurance policy options that most Alaska beneficiaries select because they cover a variety of medical expenses at reasonable prices.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G
- Medigap Plan G includes everything covered by F plans except for the Medicare Part B deductible. The Part A deductible is covered.
- All beneficiaries are eligible to apply regardless of the Original Medicare start date.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan N
- Medigap Plan N has no coverage for Part B excess charges or deductibles. Part A deductible is covered.
- Requires beneficiaries to pay up to $20 to see a doctor and up to $50 for emergency room visits.
- Open to all beneficiaries regardless of Medicare start date.
Medicare Supplement High Deductible Plan G
- High Deductible Plan G has the Same Benefits as Medicare Plan G
- Annual Deductible of $2,700
- Significantly Cheaper than Medicare Plan G
- Considerably Cheaper than High Deductible Plan F yet Covers everything in high deductible F except for the Part B Deductible
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan F
- Medigap Plan F coverage includes Medicare Part A deductible, Medicare Part B deductible, Part B coinsurance, foreign travel emergency care, and Part B excess charges.
- Maximizes out-of-pocket costs but comes with the highest monthly premiums.
- Eligibility is limited to beneficiaries with a Medicare Part B effective date prior to January 1, 2020.
Top Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies in Alaska
Fewer than 20 private insurance companies are selling Medigap plans in Alaska. The ideal Medicare insurance company will provide competitive rates and excellent customer service. Each insurer competes with pricing, and there are a few that shine when compared to other Medigap insurance options:
How Much Is The Average Cost of Medicare Supplement Plans in Alaska?
On average, Medicare Supplement Plans cost around $129 per month. However, actual rates may differ based on your chosen provider, current age, age when you purchased the plan, available discounts, and medical underwriting factors.
|Plan type||Premium Range|
|Plan F||$180.00 – $300.00|
|Plan G||$117.00 – $220.00|
|Plan N||$90.00 – $200.00|
To illustrate the general cost of a Medigap plan in Alaska, the chart shows rate quotes for a 65-year-old female nonsmoker who lives in Alaska, zip code 99501. Our Policy Guides can help you compare plan options and rates for your zip code. You will also need a Medicare Part D plan, which is an additional cost.
When Can I Enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan?
You are eligible to enroll in a Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Alaska when you sign up for Original Medicare. All Medicare beneficiaries have a six-month Medigap Open Enrollment Period that starts the month they are 65 and sign up for Medicare Part B. Beneficiaries can sign up for Part D prescription drug coverage asimultaneously
The following guaranteed issue rights are only offered during the initial open enrollment period and select special open enrollment periods:
- All beneficiaries are guaranteed acceptance into the plan of their choice.
- All beneficiaries are given the same rates without medical underwriting. Your pre-existing conditions or current health condition will not impact your rate.
- Insurance companies cannot later cancel the insurance policy unless a beneficiary fails to make monthly premiums.
Alaska Medicare Resources
- Medicare Information Office
- Getting ready for Medicare
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Ready to learn more?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the plan selection process. We work closely with some of the nation’s top-rated carriers, such as Aetna, Cigna, and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.