In Virginia, you have ten Medicare Supplement plans to choose from. Each of the ten plans is standardized, meaning that no matter which insurance company you purchase from or where you might live — from Richmond to Norfolk and elsewhere in the United States — you get the same coverage. However, rates are set by each company.
Of the ten plans, Medicare Supplement Plan G is the best plan overall in Virginia.
Mutual of Omaha offers the best rates on Plan G in Virginia at $119.00 per month.
Medicare Supplement Plan N comes in at a close second place. We also found the best rates with Mutual of Omaha at $90.00 per month for Plan N.
Each Virginia Medicare Supplement plan offers a different level of coverage to help with healthcare costs, from paying coinsurance and copayments not covered under Original Medicare insurance to pay Medicare Part B deductibles and medical expenses incurred while traveling abroad.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan options in Virginia
Best Overall Value: Medicare Supplement Plan G
Another plan that offers a lot of coverage and reduces out-of-pocket costs is Medigap Plan G. It has the second most robust benefits, behind only Plan F. It’s a cheaper Medicare plan that offers excellent coverage.
- Does NOT cover Medicare Part B deductible
Best Value: Medicare Supplement Plan N
You may want a plan with a cheaper monthly premium, but you might not feel like a base-level plan like Plan A will offer enough coverage. Medigap Plan N is a great compromise. It provides more benefits than Plan A but not as much as Plan G or Plan F. It’s affordable for most but requires some cost-sharing.
- It does NOT cover Part B Deductible.
- Does NOT cover Excess Charges for Part B
- Requires a $20 copay for office visits
- Requires a $50 copay for emergency room visits
Best Low-Cost Plan: High-Deductible Medicare Plan G
- High Deductible Plan G Same benefits as the original Plan G
- In 2023, the deductible is $2,700. Once you satisfy this deductible, the plan will cover 100% of the costs.
- Significantly lower monthly premiums than the original Plan G
Virginia Medigap enrollment by plan:
• Plan F 223,307
• Plan G 149,844
• Plan N 32,617
• Plan C 5,564
• Plan B 2,057
Because each lettered Medigap policy offers different benefits and rates for premiums, it is important to compare them to find the best Medicare Supplement plan in Virginia that meets your needs.
Medicare Supplement Plan F
Medigap Plan F in Virginia, available as a standard and high deductible plan, is the most popular of the Medicare Supplement plan options.
- Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance
- Hospital costs up to 365 days after benefits through Original Medicare are exhausted.
- Part A hospice care copays or coinsurance
- Part A deductible
- Part B deductible
- Part B preventive office visit coinsurance
- Part B coinsurance or copays
- Excess charges for Medicare Part B
- First three pints of blood needed for a medical procedure
- Coinsurance for care in a skilled nursing facility
- Limited foreign travel emergency care
Top Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies in Virginia
Following are private insurance companies selling Medigap policies in Virginia. This list includes A.M. Best ratings for financial strength:
- Aetna: A (excellent)
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Virginia: A (excellent)
- Omaha Insurance Company: A+ (Superior)
What Does A Medicare Supplement Insurance Cost in Virginia Cost?
The average monthly cost using this sample is about $109 for 2023.
|Plan type||Premium Range|
|Plan F||$180.00 – $300.00|
|Plan G||$117.00 – $220.00|
|Plan N||$90.00 – $200.00|
How do I Enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan?
Apply for Medicare Supplement insurance plans during your Medigap Open Enrollment Period, which is:
- The six-month period starts with the first day of your birthday month when you turn 65 or older AND
- Your enrollment in Medicare Part B
After your Medigap Open Enrollment Period, an insurer can decline your application or charge a higher premium for your insurance policy.
Guaranteed Issue Rights
When you have guaranteed issue rights, the Medicare insurance company is required to:
- Offer you a Medigap policy
- Cover pre-existing conditions
- Refrain from charging you more because you have a health condition
State Medicare Resources
- Aetna Medigap Plan G
- Cigna Medigap Plan G
- Mutual of Omaha Medigap Plan G
- Top 5 Medicare Supplement Plans
Ready to learn more?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the plan selection process. In addition, we work closely with some of the nation’s top-rated carriers. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.