Best Medicare Supplement Plans in Mississippi – F, G & N Benefits
Because Original Medicare insurance does not pay for all of the healthcare expenses you might incur, finding the best Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Mississippi that help cover your share of out-of-pocket expenses. Those out-of-pocket costs include:
Medicare Supplement plans in Mississippi are often called Medigap policies because they pay for the gaps in Original Medicare coverage. Since these policies supplement Original Medicare, you must stay enrolled in Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B to be eligible for Medigap plans in Mississippi.
Best Types of Medicare Supplement Plans in Mississippi
Mississippi sells 10 Medigap policies that help Medicare beneficiaries pay for out-of-pocket costs. However, Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Mississippi do not pay for all of the medical care you might need. Some services are not covered:
- Standard vision
- Standard dental
- Hearing exams and hearing aids
- Prescription drugs
As a Medicare beneficiary beginning the search for the best Medicare Supplement plan in Mississippi, here’s the basic information you need to know about Medigap policies:
- A letter designates each of the 10 Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Mississippi (Plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, N).
- Medigap policies with the same letter offer the same benefits regardless of where you live or which insurance company sells the policy. (Plan F sold by American Pioneer in Independence is the same as Plan F sold by Humana in Ripley.)
- Coverage levels differ between plans. (Plan C pays your Part B deductible; Plan G does not.)
- Rates for the same plan differ based on location, gender, and the Medicare insurance company selling the policy. (Rates for a male in Tate County with coverage through Hartford might be higher or lower than a female in Benton County with coverage through Oxford.)
- Renewal for Medicare Supplement plans in Mississippi is guaranteed as long as you pay the Medigap premiums, do not misstate information, and stay enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B.
- If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan (Medicare Part C) you cannot apply for Medicare Supplement insurance plans.
In most cases, the Medigap policy that you buy will remain the same in the future. To find the best Medicare Supplement plan in Mississippi, you must consider your health needs in the future as well as now. As you compare Medigap plans in Mississippi, consider the following questions:
- What is your tolerance for risk?
- What amount of premium can you afford?
- Are you willing to pay higher copayments and deductibles in return for a lower premium?
- Do you travel outside of the country?
- Is there a likelihood you will need skilled nursing care?
After you’ve decided which is the best Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Mississippi for you, the next step is to compare rates between insurers. A Medicare insurance company sets its rates based on one of three ways:
- Attained-age: Your current (attained) age determines the premium. This means your premiums will increase each year due to age.
- Community (no age): Everyone pays the same premium regardless of age.
- Issue-age: Premiums depend on your age when you buy the Medigap policy.
The majority of insurance carriers calculate rates for Medicare Supplement plans in Mississippi using the attained-age approach.
As mentioned above, prescription drug coverage will not be included. You’ll need to sign up for one of the Medicare Part D prescription drug plans on your own. An insurance agent can help you with this so that you’ll have this extra coverage.
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan F in Mississippi:
The most popular of all of the Medicare plans, Plan F can be purchased as a standard or high deductible plan. Medigap Plan F in Mississippi offers the most comprehensive coverage of all, including these benefits:
- Part A hospital coinsurance
- Hospital costs up to 365 days after benefits through Original Medicare are exhausted
- Part A hospice care copays or coinsurance
- Part A deductible
- Part B deductible
- Part B preventive office visit coinsurance
- Part B coinsurance or copays
- Excess charges for Medicare Part B
- First three pints of blood needed for a medical procedure
- Coinsurance for care in a skilled nursing facility
- Limited foreign travel emergency care
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan G in Mississippi:
Medigap Plan G in Mississippi has very similar benefits to Plan F. It’s a cheaper plan, though, making it a more appealing choice than Medigap Plan F for many people.
- Does NOT cover Medicare Part B deductible
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan N in Mississippi:
The plan options above offer more coverage than Medicare Supplement policy Plan N. Medigap Plan N in Mississippi supplements the federal Medicare program and offers more benefits than you’ll find with Plan A, but it’s not the most comprehensive of the Supplemental insurance options.
It requires more cost-sharing than some plans, but it has reasonable monthly premiums, too.
- Does NOT cover Part B Deductible
- Does NOT cover Excess Charges for Part B
- Requires $20 copay for office visits
- Requires $50 copay for emergency room visits
Medicare Supplement Plans in Mississippi: When Can I Enroll?
The best opportunity to apply for Medicare Supplement insurance plans is during your Medigap Open Enrollment Period (OEP). This is the best time because, during your initial enrollment period, you have protections when buying Medigap plans in Mississippi. These protections, called guaranteed-issue rights, cover three things:
- A Medicare insurance company cannot deny you coverage for Medicare Supplement insurance.
- The insurer cannot deny coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- The insurance carrier cannot charge you a higher premium based on previous health conditions.
Your Medigap Open Enrollment Period for signing up for Medicare Supplement insurance covers a six-month time frame that starts after you meet two conditions:
- You turned 65
- You signed up for Medicare Part B
If you apply for Medicare Supplement plans in Mississippi outside of your initial enrollment period, you no longer have guaranteed-issue protections. A Medicare insurance company can, except in a few limited situations, do the following:
- Deny coverage for a pre-existing condition
- Make you submit to a medical history
- Deny you benefits completely
If you are under the age of 65 and qualify for Medicare due to a disability it’s best to speak with one of Medicare Specialist to understand eligibility and options for your unique situation.
Medicare Supplement Plans in Mississippi: Enrollment Statistics
Mississippi’s population is nearing 3 million. The five most populated counties are:
Here are some Medicare facts involving Mississippi residents:
- About 15 percent of residents are age 65 or over.
- Roughly 21 percent of residents had Medicare in 2018.
- Of those who had Medicare coverage in 2018, more than 489,212 (81 percent) had Original Medicare insurance.
Mississippi Medicare Resources
For more information about your Medicare benefits, the Mississippi Medicare Supplement plans that are out there and more, check out these resources for Mississippi residents or Medicare beneficiaries from throughout the United States:
You can also find our phone number here on our site and give us a call. We’re more than happy to help you with the process of researching and buying a Supplement plan!
Related Topics for Comparing Medicare Supplement Companies and Plans in Mississippi
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the process of plan selection. We work closely with some of the nations top rated carriers such as Aetna, Cigna and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more or about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.