When you sign up for Original (traditional) Medicare through Social Security, Medicare Supplement plans in Maryland are available to you simultaneously. Medicare Supplement plans in Maryland offer additional coverage to lower your out-of-pocket costs. Let’s examine why some Medicare beneficiaries think Original Medicare alone may not be enough.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan options in Maryland:
Identifying the best Medicare Supplement insurance plan is not always easy because there are multiple variables to consider. Our licensed insurance agents have in-depth knowledge of each policy. They can answer your questions to make the decision-making process easier. Plan G has taken over Plan F in popularity because G is available regardless of when you became eligible for Medicare. The benefits are almost the same.
Which plan has the best benefits in Maryland?
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G
Additionally, you get the comfort of knowing that you can:
- Go to your healthcare provider of choice as long as the provider participates in Medicare.
- Move to a different medical practice if you desire.
- If the facility is contracted with Medicare, go to the hospital or health care center you prefer.
- Get medical services from a specialist – no referral is needed.
Medicare Supplement Plan N
Medigap Plan N in Maryland is the most popular option for individuals looking to save money on their premiums. Medicare Plan N is a reasonably priced cost-sharing plan and is a good option to consider:
- Does NOT cover Part B Deductible
- It does NOT cover Part B excess charges
- Requires a $20 copay for office visits
- Requires a $50 copay for Emergency room visits
Medicare Supplement High Deductible Plan G
- High Deductible Plan G has the Same Benefits as Medicare Plan G
- Annual Deductible of $2,700
- Significantly Cheaper than Medicare Plan G
- Considerably Cheaper than High Deductible Plan F yet Covers everything in high deductible F except for the Part B Deductible
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan F
Plan F offers the full range of benefits available within Medigap insurance. However, availability is limited, depending on when you became eligible for Medicare and whether or not you have enrolled. Also, you still need to buy a Medicare Part D plan if you want prescription drug coverage.
How do I choose the best plan?
Our Policy Guides can help you evaluate each plan. The best plan for you is the one that gives you the most coverage at a price you can afford.
Top-rated Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies in Maryland
The following health insurance companies earned four-star ratings from Consumer Affairs:
Which Medigap company offers the best rates in Maryland?
Different insurers have different approaches to how they rate Medigap policies. You may know someone who a certain company quoted a good rate, but that does not mean the same rate would apply to you. Our Policy Guides are efficient in providing quotes specific to your situation so you can compare apples to apples.
How Much Does Medicare Supplement Insurance Cost in Maryland?
Medicare Supplement Plans in Maryland cost an average of $129.00 per month, but rates can vary depending on the Insurer.
|Plan type||Premium Range|
|Plan F||$180.00 – $300.00|
|Plan G||$117.00 – $220.00|
|Plan N||$90.00 – $200.00|
When Can I Apply for a Medicare Supplement Plan?
If you are at least 65 years old and enrolled in Part B, you can apply for a Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Maryland.
Here are the possible scenarios when you may sign up:
- During Medigap Open Enrollment Period: six month period that begins from the month you turn 65
- After losing other health insurance, giving you a guaranteed issue right
- Delayed enrollment without guaranteed issue rights
The best time to sign up is during the Medigap Open Enrollment Period. During that time, or later if you have guaranteed issue rights, the insurance company must:
- Sell you a Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Maryland
- Include coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Refrain from higher pricing due to your health conditions
Delaying enrollment may cost you more money or leave you with no Medigap coverage.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Plan G available in Maryland?
Yes, Plan G is available in Maryland. Plan G’s cost will be based on:
- Your age
- Whether or not you smoke
- Where you live
For example, The average monthly premium for a 65-year-old nonsmoking female living in zip code 20906 is about $156.
Maryland Medicare Resources
Ready To Learn More?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the plan selection process. We work closely with some of the nation’s top-rated carriers. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.