When you sign up for Original (traditional) Medicare through Social Security, Medicare Supplement plans in Maryland are available to you at the same time. Medicare Supplement plans in Maryland offer additional coverage to lower your out-of-pocket costs. Let’s take a look at why some Medicare beneficiaries think Original Medicare alone may not be enough.
What is the Best Medicare Supplement Plan in Maryland?
Identifying the best Medicare Supplement insurance plan is not always easy because there are multiple variables to consider. Our licensed insurance agents have in-depth knowledge of each policy. They can answer your questions to make the decision-making process easier.
Plan G has taken over Plan F in popularity because G is available regardless of when you became eligible for Medicare. The benefits are almost the same.
Which plan has the best benefits in Maryland?
Plan G: Best For Comprehensive Benefit Package
Plan G offers every benefit you get with Plan F less the Part B deductible. Additionally, you get the comfort of knowing that you can:
- Go to your health care provider of choice as long as the provider participates in Medicare.
- Move to a different medical practice if you desire.
- Go to the hospital or health care center you prefer as long as the facility is contracted with Medicare.
- Get medical services from a specialist – no referral needed.
Plan F: Best For Full coverage
Plan F offers the full range of benefits available within Medigap insurance. However, availability is limited, depending on when you became eligible for Medicare and whether or not you have enrolled. Also, you still need to buy a Medicare Part D plan if you want prescription drug coverage.
How do I choose the best plan?
Our Policy Guides can help you evaluate each plan. The best plan for you is the one that gives you the most coverage at a price you can afford.
What is the Average Cost for a Medicare Supplement Plan in Maryland?
Let’s say you are:
- A woman 65 years of age
- Not a smoker
- Living in Montgomery, zip code 20878
These are the rates you can expect:
|Plan Type||Premium Range|
|Plan G||$123.3 - $207.77|
|Plan N||$94.80 - $142.39|
Enrollment Numbers for Medicare Supplement Plans in Maryland
- ** Data from National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Medicare Supplement Insurance Experience Exhibit, 2020.
**According to a survey carried out by Global Strategy Group on behalf of AHIP in January 2021*
Maryland has an estimated population of more than 6 million living in 23 counties.
Here are the five largest:
- Prince Georges
- Anne Arundel
Of the 6 million, about 14 percent are 65 or older. Here are some more Medicare stats for Maryland:
- In 2018, 893,817 residents had Original Medicare insurance.
- Of those enrolled in Medicare, 12 percent had Medicare Advantage.
- In 2015, about 28 percent of seniors enrolled in one of Maryland’s Medigap plans.
When Can I Apply for a Medicare Supplement Plan?
If you are at least 65 years old and enrolled in Part B, you can apply for a Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Maryland.
Here are the possible scenarios when you may sign up:
- During Medigap Open Enrollment Period: six month period that begins from the month you turn 65
- After losing other health insurance, giving you a guaranteed issue right
- Delayed enrollment without guaranteed issue rights
The best time to sign up is during the Medigap Open Enrollment Period. During that time, or later if you have guaranteed issue rights, the insurance company must:
- Sell you a Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Maryland
- Include coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Refrain from higher pricing due to your health conditions
Delaying enrollment may cost you more money or leave you with no Medigap coverage.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What Companies Sell Medigap Plans in Maryland?
The following health insurance companies earned four-star ratings from Consumer Affairs:
- Mutual of Omaha
Which Medigap company offers the best rates in Maryland?
Different insurers have different approaches to how they rate Medigap policies. You may know someone who was quoted a good rate by a certain company, but that does not mean the same rate would apply to you. Our Policy Guides are efficient in providing quotes specific to your situation so you can compare apples to apples.
Is Plan G available in Maryland?
Yes, Plan G is available in Maryland.
Plan G cost will be based on:
- Your age
- Whether or not you smoke
- Where you live
For example, The average monthly premium for a 65-year-old nonsmoking female living in zip code 20906 is about $156.
Ready To Learn More?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the process of plan selection. We work closely with some of the nations top-rated carriers. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more or about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.
Maryland Medicare Resources
- Plan G encompasses the same benefits as Plan F with the exception of the Part B deductible.
- In 2022, there are 10 Medicare Supplement Plans in Maryland to choose from.
- In Maryland, about 28 percent of seniors enrolled in a Medicare Supplement insurance plan.