For many residents receiving Social Security benefits, Medicare Supplement plans in Louisiana help cover out-of-pocket health care expenses. These out-of-pocket costs include coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles.
Most Louisianans file for Medicare when they turn 65. Younger individuals can qualify for Social Security and Medicare benefits if they’re disabled, have ALS, or have end-stage renal disease. Louisiana requires insurers to provide Medicare Supplemental insurance coverage to these younger beneficiaries. However, the premiums for Medicare Supplement plans in Louisiana are much higher for this younger age group.
Medicare Supplement Plan options in Louisiana
Each Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Louisiana offers a different benefit package.
Here’s how the top five compare:
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G
- Medigap Plan G pays everything except the Part B deductible
- Cheaper than Plan F
- Most popular for beneficiaries whose eligibility for Medicare coverage starts after Jan. 1, 2020
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan N
- Plan N offers lower premiums in exchange for more cost-share
- Has a $20 office visit copay and a $50 ER copay
- ER copay waived if admitted
- Pays all Part B coinsurance after meeting copays
- Does not pay Part B deductible or Part B excess charges
High Deductible Plan G
- High Deductible Plan G has the Same coverage as Medicare Plan G
- Annual deductible
- Cheaper than High Deductible Plan F
- In 2023, the deductible is $2,700. After the deductible is met, the plan will cover 100% of the costs.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan F
- Medicare Plan F covers everything: Part A deductible, Part B deductible, coinsurance, copays
- Enrollment is only open for beneficiaries eligible for Medicare before Jan. 1, 2020
Top-rated Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies in Louisiana
Many private insurance companies sell Medigap policies in Louisiana. Here are a few that have strong financial strength according to Standard & Poor’s:
How Much Does Medicare Supplement Insurance Cost in Louisiana?
Medicare Supplement Plans in Illinois cost an average of $130.00 per month, but rates can vary depending on the Insurer.
|Plan type||Premium Range|
|Plan F||$180.00 – $300.00|
|Plan G||$117.00 – $220.00|
|Plan N||$90.00 – $200.00|
Age and demographics affect the cost of your Medigap insurance.
When Can I Enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan?
Your Medigap Open Enrollment Period begins when you meet two conditions:
- You turn 65
- You enroll in Medicare Part B
By joining during the open enrollment, you have guaranteed issue rights:
- The insurer must accept your application.
- The insurer must cover pre-existing conditions.
- The insurer cannot require medical underwriting.
If you enroll outside your OEP, the insurance company can require underwriting, charge higher rates due to health conditions, or deny coverage altogether.
There are special situations when Medicare beneficiaries have guaranteed issue rights, including when:
- Your carrier discontinues coverage in your area.
- Your group insurance through an employer ends.
- You move out of the plan’s service area.
Our agents can help you determine whether your situation qualifies for guaranteed rights.
Be aware that there is no annual enrollment period with Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Louisiana like with Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D plans. Therefore, the effective date of your Medigap insurance is 30 days after you enroll.
Louisiana Medicare Resources
- Senior Health Insurance Information Program in Louisiana
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Ready To Learn More?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the plan selection process. We work closely with some of the nation’s top-rated carriers, such as Aetna, Cigna, and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote