Medicare Supplement Plan G in Texas is an attractive solution when you need help paying out of pocket expenses relating to health care. These out of pocket costs include copays, deductibles, foreign travel, and excess charges from doctors who charge above Medicare’s approved amount.
Eligibility for Medicare Supplement insurance Plan G in Texas hinges on being enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B (Original Medicare). You’ll pay a monthly premium for your Medigap Plan G policy in addition to your Medicare Part B premium.
What does Medicare Supplement Plan G cover?
Original Medicare pays for a lot when it comes to your healthcare. On top of the Medicare-approved amounts that are covered by the Federal Medicare program in the United States, you can enjoy having these additional Medicare benefits covered if you sign up for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Texas.
Plan G will cover:
· Initial pints of blood
· Medicare Part A deductible
· Medicare Part A hospital costs
· Part A expenses
· Part A hospice care coinsurance
· Skilled nursing facility care
Medicare Part B costs:
· Charges over the amount Medicare allows – “Part B Excess Charges”
· Durable medical equipment
· Foreign travel emergency care (lifetime plan limits apply)
· Medicare Part B coinsurance and copays
Be advised that the Part B deductible will not be covered by Medigap Plan G in Texas.
Here’s what you need to know about Plan G:
- Rapidly becoming the most popular Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Texas
- Offers the highest level of Medicare coverage to seniors eligible for Medicare benefits after Dec. 31, 2019
- Plan G coverage fills the benefit gap left after Original Medicare pays on a claim
- Also referred to as Medigap Plan G or Medicare Part G
As of October 2020, nearly 4.3 million Texans were enrolled in the Federal Medicare Program. Here’s the breakdown:
- Original Medicare: 57%
- Medicare Advantage: 43%
- Medicare Part D plan: 67%
- Medigap coverage (2018): 873,000 (36%)
- Medicare Plan G (2018): 254,314 (29% )
What is the Monthly Premium for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Texas?
Medicare Supplement Plan G rates vary based on demographics and the pricing method the carrier uses. The pricing method affects your future monthly premiums as well as current ones:
- Attained age: Your age determines the premium, which means costs will increase each year as you grow older.
- Issue age: Your age when you buy Medicare Plan G determines the premium. A 75-year-old will pay more than a 65-year-old.
- Community-rated: Everyone pays the same for Plan G regardless of age.
Here’s an idea of what a 65-year old woman who doesn’t smoke might pay for Medicare Supplement Plan G:
- Houston zip code 77001: $136.48 average, $111.78-$188.02 range
- Laredo zip code 78040: $115.99 average, $99.24-$165.95 range
Our comparison of Medicare Supplement plan quotes will help you determine which carrier is best suited for your budget.
When can I enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan G?
Unlike Medicare Advantage and Part D plans, Plan G has no annual enrollment period. You can apply for Medigap Plan G in Texas any time. Depending on when you enroll, however, different rules apply.
Open Enrollment Period
The best time to apply for Plan G is during your Open Enrollment Period:
- OEP starts when you are 65 and enrolled in Part B Medicare
- Lasts six months
- Offers guaranteed rights: insurers can’t deny your application, require medical underwriting, or charge more because of pre-existing conditions
Special Open Enrollment
You have guaranteed-issue rights in other situations outside of your OEP, including when:
- You leave the plan’s service area
- You lose group health insurance
- The insurer discontinues Plan G
- You lose a Medicare Advantage plan
- A disabled Medicare beneficiary turns 65
If you apply outside of your OEP and don’t qualify for special enrollment, Medicare Supplement insurance companies can require underwriting and charge higher premiums. Our insurance agency can help determine whether you meet the qualifications for special enrollment.
Ready to learn more?
We can help you locate a personalized Medicare Supplement plan G rate in Texas from top insurers, and help you apply for a plan over the phone. So contact us today so that we can assist you with your Medicare Supplement policy options.
- Medicare Supplement Plan G in Texas is one of the 10 standardized Medicare Supplement plans.
- Plan G does not use a provider network, go anywhere Original Medicare is accepted.
- Aetna, Cigna & Mutual of Omaha are top providers for Plan G in Texas.