Best Medicare Supplement Plans in Florida
The best Medicare Supplement plans in Florida can simplify your healthcare by picking up copayments, coinsurance, deductibles and excess charges that aren’t covered by Original Medicare insurance. Once you reach your 65th birthday month and are enrolled in Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B, you’re eligible to apply for a Medigap plan in Florida.
Medicare Supplement insurance plans allow you to pay convenient monthly premiums without worrying about additional out-of-pocket expenses, certain plans even cover the Part B Deductible. Your medical provider will first receive payments from your Original Medicare insurance coverage. Remaining charges are processed through your Medigap plan. Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Florida also give you the freedom to see the doctors of your choice anywhere in the country. Medigap policies may also cover emergency medical expenses accrued during international travel.
Best Medicare Supplement Plans in Florida: Enrollment Statistics
- The five largest counties in Florida are Miami-Dade County, Broward County, Palm Beach County, Hillsborough County, and Orange County.
- Close to 2.5 million Florida beneficiaries were enrolled in Original Medicare insurance in 2018.
- In 2018, approximately 2 million people were enrolled in Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Florida.
- In 2015, approximately 800,000 people were enrolled in Medigap plans in Florida.
How Many Medicare Supplement Plans are Available in Florida?
The federal government standardizes 10 Medicare Supplement plans. Each plan offers the same terms of coverage to each beneficiary, and the insurance company cannot alter those pre-determined benefits. The plans are named with letters, such as Medicare Plan F and Medicare Supplement plan G in Florida. Make sure that you only purchase Medigap policies from a licensed Medicare insurance company that is authorized to underwrite Medicare Supplement plans in Florida.
The first step to selecting the best Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Florida is to study the benefits for each Medigap plan. Insurance companies aren’t required to offer all 10 plans, but it’s easy to see which plans are readily available when you compare Medigap rates online. Identify the insurance policy that best meets your healthcare needs, and then compare insurance companies to secure the lowest rates possible. Note: You will need a separate Part D prescription drug plan. Certain Medicare Advantage plans in Florida will include prescription drug coverage, but Medigap plans do not.
Best Companies that offer Medicare Supplement plans in Florida:
Best Medicare Supplement Plans in Florida: When Can I Enroll?
In general, you’re eligible for certain Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Florida once you turn 65 and enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B. Once you meet those requirements, you have three options to enroll in Florida Medigap plans:
- Enroll during your initial enrollment period. This period opens the first day of the month that you turn 65. It closes six months later. The insurance company is legally required to accept your application for Medicare Supplement insurance plans during this period. The underwriter cannot ask questions about your medical history or increase rates based on pre-existing conditions or other medical issues. You’re likely to receive the best rates during the initial enrollment period, so mark your calendar and don’t miss it.
- Enroll during a special enrollment period. If you decide not to enroll in one of the best Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Florida during the Medigap open enrollment period, you may qualify for special enrollment at a later date. You must meet specific criteria to earn a special period, such as losing your private health insurance or moving to a new state. During a special enrollment period, you receive the same rate protections that are extended during the initial enrollment period. That includes guaranteed enrollment and no medical underwriting to determine rates.
- Enroll in Medigap plans in Florida at any time. You can apply for a Medicare Supplement plan in Florida at any time, but you won’t receive rate protections outside of an open or special enrollment period. That means that the insurance company will ask questions regarding your medical history and may use that information when determining your rate. The insurance company may also deny your application for any reason.
Florida Medicare Resources
- Florida SHINE – Get answers to your healthcare questions and receive help selecting the best Medicare supplement insurance plan in Florida. Specialized volunteers are available to help all seniors in Florida.