Medicare Supplement Plan G in Washington State is becoming increasingly popular with Washington seniors.
Medicare Supplement Plan G covers medical expenses not covered by Original Medicare (Part A and Part B).
Original Medicare, the Federal Medicare Program, generally pays 80% of the approved amount, and the remaining 20 percent becomes out of pocket expenses.
There is no cap on out of pocket costs, so everyone needs the extra coverage.
Once enrolled in Medicare Supplement Plan G in Washington State, you can keep that plan as long as you pay the monthly premium without interruption.
- In 2020, 1,398,832 Washingtonians were enrolled in Medicare
- 20 insurers offer Medicare Supplement Plans in Washington and 12 Medicare Supplement Plans are available in 2021
- As of July 2020, 511,514 Washington Medicare Enrollees had Medicare Advantage Plans (33%)
- As of 2018, 301,349 people in Washington had Medigap coverage
Medicare Supplement Plan G Benefits
Original Medicare pays for a lot when it comes to your healthcare. On top of the Medicare-approved amounts that are covered by the Federal Medicare program in the United States, you can enjoy having these additional Medicare benefits covered if you sign up for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Washington State.
Plan G will cover:
· Initial pints of blood
· Medicare Part A deductible
· Medicare Part A hospital costs
· Part A expenses
· Part A hospice care coinsurance
· Skilled nursing facility care
Benefits also pay these Medicare Part B costs:
· Charges over the amount Medicare allows – “Part B Excess Charges”
· Durable medical equipment
· Foreign travel emergency care (lifetime plan limits apply)
· Medicare Part B coinsurance and copays
Be advised that the Part B deductible will not be covered by Medigap Plan G in Washington State.
What is the Monthly Premium for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Washington State?
There are three ways most insurance agencies use to set their Medicare Plan G rates:
- Community Rated: Same price for everyone regardless of age
- Issue-Age Rated: Premiums are based on the age at time of purchase, but no increase with aging
- Attained-Age-Rated: Premiums based on age at time of purchase and increasing with advancing age
By Washington State law, premiums must be calculated on the Community Rating plan.
The following statistics are based on a 65-year-old woman, nonsmoker, living in Pacific County, Washington State, Zip Code 98640
|Plan Type||Premium Range|
|Plan G||$120.70 - $194.00|
When can I enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan G?
In Washington State, Medicare beneficiaries have an advantage with enrollment. State law mandates that anyone 65 or over with Medicare Part A and Part B can purchase a Medigap Plan G with guaranteed issue rights.
The usual enrollment seasons are as follows:
The best time to enroll in Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G in Washington State is during your six-month Initial Enrollment Period. Beginning on the first day of the month you turn 65 and extending six months out, you can enroll in any Medigap Plan G you choose.
Insurance companies cannot turn you down, charge more for a pre-existing condition, or require you to fill out a medical questionnaire (underwriting) during this time period.
An Open Enrollment Period happens every year from October 15 to December 7. This is intended to allow Medicare recipients to switch between Original Medicare and a Medicare Advantage Plan or buy a Part D Prescription Drug Plan. It is not for people to enroll in a Medigap Plan G policy.
An Annual Election Period takes place yearly from January 1 to March 31. This time is aimed at enrolling people in Medicare Advantage Plans and Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage.
If you are still working and have comparable insurance coverage through an employer, you can sign up for Medicare Plan G within 63 days of stopping work or losing your insurance plan.
If your insurance discontinues your policy or the insurance companies moves out of your service area, you are generally allowed to choose a new Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage plan without penalty.
Ready to Learn More?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the process of plan selection. We work closely with some of the nations top rated carriers such as Aetna, Cigna and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more or about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.
- Medicare Supplement Plan G in Washington is one of the 10 standardized Medicare Supplement plans.
- Plan G does not use a provider network, go anywhere Original Medicare is accepted.
- Aetna, Cigna & Mutual of Omaha are top providers for Plan G in Washington.