If coinsurance, copayments, and other out of pocket costs are stressing you out, consider enrolling in Medicare Supplement Plan G in Virginia. There are gaps in the federal Medicare program that leave each Medicare beneficiary to cover some medical expenses on their own. Medicare Supplement Plan G in Virginia allows you to extend your Medicare benefits for more comprehensive health insurance that is less stressful.
What is Medicare Supplement Plan G in Virginia?
Medicare Supplement insurance is designed to support Original Medicare rather than replace it like a Medicare Advantage plan. Beneficiaries are required to sign up for a separate insurance plan that serves as a secondary payment source for qualifying medical services and medical equipment.
There are some basic facts that you should know before enrolling in Medicare Supplement insurance Plan G in Virginia:
- When you’re eligible for Medicare, you’re eligible for Medicare Supplement insurance plans. Once you sign up for Medicare Part B, you can also sign up for Medigap Plan G.
- You can enroll in a Medigap plan through an insurance agency authorized to sell Medicare policies.
- Plan G coverage requires a monthly premium, but also eliminates more out of pocket expenses than almost all other Medicare Supplement plans.
- Medigap benefits apply to outstanding charges after Medicare Part A and Part B pay up to plan limits.
- Medigap Plan G includes foreign travel medical care benefits up to an approved amount plus Medicare Part A coinsurance and Medicare Part B coinsurance.
If you want to know more about how Medigap plans work, look at Medicare.gov or contact our Policy Guides for quick answers to your questions.
What does Medicare Supplement Plan G cover?
Original Medicare pays for a lot when it comes to your healthcare. On top of the Medicare-approved amounts that are covered by the Federal Medicare program in the United States, you can enjoy having these additional Medicare benefits covered if you sign up for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Virginia.
But here’s what Medigap Plan G will cover:
· Initial pints of blood
· Medicare Part A deductible
· Medicare Part A hospital costs
· Part A expenses
· Part A hospice care coinsurance
· Skilled nursing facility care
Medicare Supplement Insurance plan G benefits also pay these Medicare Part B costs:
· Charges over the amount Medicare allows – “Part B Excess Charges”
· Durable medical equipment
· Foreign travel emergency care (lifetime plan limits apply)
· Medicare Part B coinsurance and copays
Be advised that the Part B deductible will not be covered by Medigap Plan G in Virginia.
What is the Plan G deductible in 2021?
There is no deductible for Medicare Plan G unless you count the Medicare Part B deductible, which is $203 for 2021. You only have a Plan G deductible if you select the high deductible plan.
What is the Monthly Premium for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Virginia?
What you pay for Medicare Supplement insurance Plan G in Virginia depends on your zip code, age, gender, and use of tobacco. For example, we generated online Medicare Supplement plan quotes for a non-smoking woman living in zip code 22003 at the age of 65.
The following Medicare Plan G quotes were the result for 2021:
- Monthly Premium Range – $112.39 – $151.92
- Average Monthly Premium – $127
The difference in premiums between insurance companies is at least partially attributed to the methods used to determine rates. There are three ways Medicare Supplement insurance companies can set rates:
- Community-Rated – Every beneficiary receives the same rate without considering other factors. This is the least popular method with insurance companies today.
- Attained-Age – Your rate is based on your current age and can go up as you get older.
- Issue-Age – Your age at the time you enroll in the plan determines your rate each year.
When can I enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan G?
Your eligibility to enroll in Medicare Supplement insurance Plan G in Virginia starts the day you sign up for Medicare Part B. You have three options when timing your Medigap enrollment:
- Open Enrollment Period – Enroll within six months of signing up for Original Medicare to take advantage of guaranteed issue rights that are only extended during this period. The insurance company cannot use medical underwriting to determine your rate and cannot deny you coverage for any reason. The insurer cannot cancel your policy as long as you live in the service area and pay your premiums.
- Special Enrollment Periods – If you missed your Open Enrollment Period because you had health insurance through an employer or had another qualifying circumstance, you may apply for a special enrollment period with guaranteed issue rights.
- Outside of Enrollment Periods – If your Open Enrollment Period has passed and you don’t qualify for a special enrollment period, you can still apply for Medicare Plan G whenever you like. The insurance company will use medical underwriting to determine your rate and may deny you coverage.
What Is the Difference Between Plan G and Plan G With a High Deductible?
The high deductible Plan G requires you to pay the full deductible amount each year before utilizing the plan’s benefits, including up to $50,000 in foreign travel emergency benefits. The standard Medigap Plan G policy has no deductible but charges more in monthly premiums.
What is the Best Medicare Supplement Plan G in Virginia?
The Federal government determines what benefits are included in each Medicare Supplement plan. That leaves the insurance companies to compete through rates alone. It’s important to consider the following factors before selecting an insurer:
- Customer Care – Is it easy to contact someone in customer service? How responsive are they to questions and concerns?
- Stability – Do they have a long history of stability that gives you a sense of confidence?
- Financial Integrity – Do they have excellent to superior financial ratings that ensure they can afford to pay claims in a timely manner?
Our Policy Guides consider all of those points when helping beneficiaries select the right Medicare Supplement Plan G in Virginia. The following three companies are our top picks along with their A.M. Best ratings for financial strength:
- Mutual of Omaha – A+ (Superior)
- Aetna – A (Excellent)
- Cigna – A (Excellent)
Which is better, Plan F or Plan G?
How are Plan F and Plan G Different?
Both plan options offer the same coverage except for the Medicare Part B deductible. Plan F covers the deductible, but Plan G doesn’t cover the deductible.
Is Plan G Cheaper than Plan F in Virginia?
Medicare Supplement Plan G rates are lower due to the plan not covering the deductible for Medicare Part B.
Which should I choose?
The plan you choose should make sense from a financial perspective since both plans offer nearly the same coverage. Start by determining your eligibility for Medicare Plan F. If your Medicare Part B start date was before January 1, 2020, you’re eligible for Plan F and Plan G. If your start date was on or after January 1, 2020, you aren’t eligible for Plan F.
Compare rates for both plans, adding on the cost of the Part B deductible for Plan G. Those numbers will tell you which plan is most affordable for you.
For further guidance, consult with an insurance agent or one of our Policy Guides. We’ll give you the full picture of your health insurance costs with both plan options, including Medicare Part B excess charges and the Medicare Part B premium.
What is the Most Popular Medicare Supplement Plan in Virginia for 2021?
There are some great reasons that the most popular Medicare Supplement plan is Medicare Supplement insurance Plan G in Virginia:
- Plan G is often the most affordable option when all out of pocket expenses and premiums are considered. Even beneficiaries eligible for Plan F may find Plan G the most cost-effective option after a thorough comparison of expenses.
- Plan G offers all of the coverage included in Plan F except for the Part B deductible. That includes coverage for foreign travel medical expenses up to an approved amount.
- There are no networks or copays with Plan G. You pick your doctors and schedule appointments without worrying about upfront payments.
- Medigap Plan G covers Medicare Part B excess charges. That allows you to see doctors that may charge a bit more than Original Medicare is willing to pay for the medical services delivered.
- Every Medicare beneficiary is guaranteed acceptance into the plan when enrolling during their Open Enrollment Period.
Frequently asked question about Medigap Plan G:
Full Medicare Supplement Plan G Benefits Chart
Does Plan G cover prescription drugs?
Medicare Plan G doesn’t include a drug plan. You can secure prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D or your chosen Medigap insurer.
Does Plan G cover the Medicare Part B deductible?
Medicare Supplement Plan G does not cover the Medicare Part B deductible.
Does Plan G cover Medicare Part B excess charges?
Medicare Supplement Plan G covers excess charges. That’s what makes Medicare Plan G more complete than Medicare Plan N.
Does Plan G cover the Medicare Part A Deductible?
Medicare Plan G will cover the Medicare Part A.
Is Plan G worth it?
You may decide that Medicare Supplement insurance Plan G in Virginia is worth the monthly premium if it gives you peace of mind. It allows you to select your doctors without concern for copays, excess charges, and other out of pocket expenses. It makes your health insurance more complete and less complicated. Just make sure that you can afford Medicare Plan G rates in your area.
What is the difference between plan G & N in Virginia?
Medicare Supplement insurance Plan G in Virginia is more comprehensive than Plan N because it covers Part B excess charges and doesn’t require copays. Plan N requires copayments of up to $50 for emergency room visits and up to $20 for doctor visits, and it doesn’t cover excess charges.
Does Plan G cover dental?
Medigap Plan G doesn’t include a dental plan.
What is Medicare Part G?
Medicare Part G is sometimes used interchangeably with Medicare Plan G, but there really is no Medicare Part G. The correct term is Medicare Plan G.
Does Plan G cover Silver Sneakers?
Medigap Plan G doesn’t include Silver Sneakers.
Ready to Learn More?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the process of plan selection. We work closely with some of the nations top rated carriers such as Aetna, Cigna and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more or about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.