Medicare Supplement Plan G in Rhode Island is rapidly becoming more popular than any other Medigap insurance plan.
If your eligibility for the federal Medicare program begins on or after January 1, 2020, here’s what you need to know:
- Medicare Supplement Plan G in Rhode Island offers the most comprehensive health insurance benefits you can access today.
- With the exception of a low-cost deductible amount for Medicare Part B, Medicare Plan G closes all the gaps in Original Medicare.
- Overall, 50,713 people enrolled in Rhode Island Medicare Supplement Insurance plans. A total of 1,812 people have Medicare Supplement insurance Plan G in Rhode Island.
What Does Medicare Supplement Plan G Cover?
Original Medicare pays for a lot when it comes to your healthcare. On top of the Medicare-approved amounts that are covered by the Federal Medicare program in the United States, you can enjoy having these additional Medicare benefits covered if you sign up for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Rhode Island.
But here’s what Medigap Plan G will cover:
· Initial pints of blood
· Medicare Part A deductible
· Medicare Part A hospital costs
· Part A expenses
· Part A hospice care coinsurance
· Skilled nursing facility care
Medicare Supplement Insurance plan G benefits also pay these Medicare Part B costs:
· Charges over the amount Medicare allows – “Part B Excess Charges”
· Durable medical equipment
· Foreign travel emergency care (lifetime plan limits apply)
· Medicare Part B coinsurance and copays
Be advised that the Part B deductible will not be covered by Medigap Plan G in Rhode Island.
What is the Plan G Deductible in 2021?
The regular Plan G has no deductible. The deductible you have to pay if you enroll in the High Deductible Plan G is $2,370 in 2021.
What is the Monthly Premium for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Rhode Island?
Monthly premiums can vary by gender, age, smoking habits and location.
For example, here are the premium estimates for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Rhode Island if you are female, 65 years old, do not smoke and live in Newport (zip code 02835):
- Range: $121.69 – $163.58
- Average: $142.45
When you compare Medicare Supplement Insurance companies, you may want to inquire about which rating model they use to determine premiums. Following are the types of models and their pricing methodology:
- Community-Rated: Geographic region (service area) or total population with all policyholders paying the same base premium
- Issue-Age: Age at the time the policy is issued where increasing age does not trigger premium increases
- Attained-Age: Age at the time the policy is issued with premium increases as you age
When can I enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan G?
The annual election periods for Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare Part D drug plans are not applicable to enrollment in Medicare Supplement Insurance.
The Medigap Open Enrollment Period offers a six-month window to sign up, starting from the month you turn 65. Whether you are aging into Medicare, retiring from group coverage or losing a Medicare Advantage plan, contact our insurance agency to walk you through the process.
It’s best to sign up early because if you miss open enrollment, you will be subject to underwriting. This can result in higher costs and fewer options.
What Is the Difference Between Plan G and Plan G With a High Deductible?
When you have a High Deductible Plan G, you are responsible for satisfying a deductible before the plan issues benefit payments. The regular Plan G has no such deductible.
What is the Best Medicare Supplement Plan G in Rhode Island?
Medigap is a standardized program, so all insurance companies selling Plan G are offering the same features. What varies is the pricing.
Pricing aside, it’s a good idea to shop around for an insurer that can demonstrate:
- Excellent customer service so you can quickly get help when you need it
- Long-term standing in the marketplace so you can be sure of the company’s stability
- Strong financial position so the company is able to pay your claims promptly
Our company recommendations
Of the many insurers we work with, the following companies have historically satisfied the above criteria. They have earned A to A+ ratings for financial strength from A.M. Best and a range of 3.6 to 4 stars for customer service from Consumer Affairs.
- Mutual of Omaha
Which is better, Plan F or Plan G?
How are Plan F and Plan G Different?
Here is a brief comparison:
- Medicare Supplement Plan G rates are lower than Plan F.
- Medicare Supplement Plan G covers the same benefits as Plan F with the exception of the Medicare Part B deductible.
Is Plan G Cheaper than Plan F in Rhode Island?
Medigap Plan G carries a less expensive premium.
Which should I choose?
If you became a new Medicare beneficiary on or after January 1, 2020, you do not have the option of choosing Plan F. However, even those who have the choice may prefer Plan G coverage.
Plan F, unlike Plan G, includes the Part B deductible. However, this cost is only $203 in 2021, and you pay a higher premium to have this benefit. For some people, the higher premium may not be worth this additional coverage.
What is the Most Popular Medicare Supplement Plan in Rhode Island for 2021?
Plan G is gaining in popularity among beneficiaries newly enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B because it is the best level of coverage available.
To appreciate the value of Plan G, measure the cost against the coverage you get for these out of pocket expenses:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance when you are in the hospital
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayments for medical services and durable medical equipment
- First three pints of blood
- Coinsurance and copayments for hospice care
- Part B excess charges in case you use a doctor who bills above the Medicare approved amount
- Emergency medical services during foreign travel in compliance with plan limits (up to 50 000 in foreign travel emergency benefits)
These benefits come with:
- No network limitation (access to all health care providers who accept Medicare)
- Filling all gaps in traditional Medicare (excluding the Part B deductible)
- Guaranteed acceptance into the plan if you sign up during your Initial Enrollment Period (applies to all Medigap plans)
Frequently Asked Questions about Medigap Plan G
Full Medicare Supplement Plan G Benefits Chart
Does Plan G cover prescription drugs?
Prescription drug coverage is outside the scope of Medigap.
Does Plan G cover the Medicare Part B Deductible?
Plan G covers neither the Part B deductible nor the Medicare Part B premium.
Does Plan G cover Medicare Part B Excess Charges?
Plan G coverage includes Medicare Part B excess charges. However, Rhode Island is one of a handful of states with laws in place to prevent doctors from excess billing.
Does Plan G cover the Medicare Part A Deductible?
Plan G covers the Part A deductible.
Is Plan G worth it?
As you get closer to the date you are eligible for Medicare, reach out to one of our insurance agents to help you decide if Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G in Rhode Island is worth it for you. We can:
- Guide you through plan options to supplement your Medicare benefits
- Explain how Medigap Plan G lowers your medical expenses and out of pocket costs
- Provide Medicare Supplement plan quotes
What is the difference between Plan G and N in Rhode Island?
- The premium for Plan N is less than Medicare Plan G rates.
- Plan N requires copays: up to $20 for office visits and up to $50 for the emergency room.
- Plan N does not cover excess charges.
Does Plan G cover dental?
Dental coverage is not typically a Medigap benefit.
What is Medicare Part G?
Medicare Part G and Plan G are the same. Technically, this Medigap plan is called Plan G. It’s not uncommon to mix it up with Part A and Part B.
Does Plan G cover Silver Sneakers?
Silver Sneakers is a fitness program sometimes covered by Medicare Advantage.
Ready to Learn More?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the process of plan selection. We work closely with some of the nations top rated carriers such as Aetna, Cigna and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more or about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.