Medicare Supplement Plan G in Kentucky is one of 10 Medicare Supplement Insurance plans designed to expand the Medicare benefits you get under the federal Medicare program known as Original Medicare.
When you purchase Medicare Supplement Plan G in Kentucky, you still have Original Medicare. But you get the added benefit of coverage for most out of pocket costs that include deductibles, coinsurance and copayments. Plan G is the rising star of all the supplemental plan options.
Medicare Supplement Plan G covers:
- Highest benefit level available to a Medicare beneficiary with an eligibility date on or after January 1, 2020
- Certain benefits and services out-of-scope under Original Medicare
- Out of pocket expenses for services rendered by doctors, hospitals and other health care facilities
In Kentucky, there are 229,400 people enrolled in Medigap plans. Of those, 46,942 signed up for Medigap Plan G.
What Does Medicare Supplement Plan G Cover?
Original Medicare pays for a lot when it comes to your healthcare. On top of the Medicare-approved amounts that are covered by the Federal Medicare program in the United States, you can enjoy having these additional Medicare benefits covered if you sign up for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Kentucky.
But here’s what Medigap Plan G will cover:
· Initial pints of blood
· Medicare Part A deductible
· Medicare Part A hospital costs
· Part A expenses
· Part A hospice care coinsurance
· Skilled nursing facility care
Medicare Supplement Insurance plan G benefits also pay these Medicare Part B costs:
· Charges over the amount Medicare allows – “Part B Excess Charges”
· Durable medical equipment
· Foreign travel emergency care (lifetime plan limits apply)
· Medicare Part B coinsurance and copays
Be advised that the Part B deductible will not be covered by Medigap Plan G in Kentucky.
What is the Plan G Deductible in 2021?
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G in Kentucky does not require a deductible.
What is the Monthly Premium for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Kentucky?
Using the elements that factor into the Medicare Supplement Plan G rates, let’s look at an example:
- 65 years old
- Monroe County, zip code 42133
Someone who fits the above profile can expect the following Medicare Plan G Rates:
|$105.07 – $146.40||$123.25|
Pricing models used by Medicare Supplement Insurance companies to determine insurance plan rates:
- Community-rated: same premium for everyone in a given location
- Issue-age-rated: premium tied to the applicant’s age at the time of purchase
- Attained-age-rated: premium based on the age attained, so as you get older, your premium gets higher
Our licensed insurance agents are ready to share Medicare Supplement plan quotes with you upon request.
When can I enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan G?
Medigap has an Open Enrollment Period separate from the annual election periods designated for Medicare Advantage and Part D drug plans. The best time to enroll in Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G in Kentucky is when you first become eligible for Medicare and have paid your Medicare Part B premium. You must have Part B to join any Medigap plan.
Advantages of signing up when you first become eligible:
- Better prices
- More plan options
- Opportunity to buy any Medicare Supplement plan sold in Kentucky regardless of health problems – no underwriting needed
When you have a guaranteed issue right, insurers cannot refuse to sell you a supplemental plan even if you apply outside the open enrollment time frame.
Scenarios that may give you guaranteed issue rights:
- You are a Medicare Advantage member, and your plan no longer covers your service area.
- You are a retiree covered by both Original Medicare and an employer group health plan that will soon end.
- You dropped a Medicare Supplement policy to join another Medicare plan and want to switch back within the first year.
What Is the Difference Between Plan G and Plan G With a High Deductible?
Plan G coverage is the same whether you purchase the original Medigap Plan G or the high deductible version.
Here’s the difference:
- The high deductible plan requires you to pay a certain amount ($2,370 in 2021) toward the Medicare Part A deductible, Medicare Part B deductible, copays and coinsurance before the policy pays any benefits.
- There is a separate deductible ($250 in 2021) required for foreign travel emergency medical services.
- To offset the Medicare Plan G deductible amount, Medicare Plan G has a lower premium.
What is the Best Medicare Supplement Plan G in Kentucky?
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G in Kentucky is standardized. Plan G sold by one insurer is the same as Plan G sold by another. The price may vary greatly, however. Our insurance agency can guide you through a price comparison.
Aside from price, we recommend you consider the company’s:
- Customer service
- Long-term stability
- Financial strength
Using this criteria, we have a preferred list of insurance companies, though we can offer policies from virtually any insurer. This list includes customer satisfaction ratings, on a scale of one to five, as reported by Consumer Affairs:
- Aetna: 3.9 stars
- Mutual of Omaha: 4 stars
- Cigna: 3.6 stars
Which is better, Plan F or Plan G?
How are Plan F and Plan G different?
Comparison of Plan F and Plan G:
- Medigap Plan F: more coverage (Medicare Part B deductible)
- Medigap Plan G: lower monthly premium
Is Plan G Cheaper than Plan F in Kentucky?
The higher premium you are charged for Plan F can be attributed to coverage of the Part B deductible.
Which should I choose?
Whether or not you have a choice between Medicare Plan F and Medicare Plan G depends on when you became eligible for Medicare:
|Before January 1, 2020||Plan F or Plan G|
|On or after January 1, 2020||Plan G|
Those who can choose between Plan F and Plan G may prefer Plan G because the premium is lower and the coverage you are giving up is minimal. The 2021 Part B deductible is $203 for the plan year.
What is the Most Popular Medicare Supplement Plan in Kentucky for 2021?
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G in Kentucky wins the popularity contest among those new to Medicare.
Five reasons Medicare Supplement Plan G in Kentucky is the most popular:
- Most health insurance coverage available to new beneficiaries
- Great value when you compare benefits against cost
- Flexibility to choose any Medicare-participating doctor or to use the Part B excess charge benefit for a non-participating doctor who charges above the Medicare approved amount
- Easy to understand because all Medigap benefits except for the Part B deductible are covered
- Guaranteed application approval if you enroll during your Medigap Open Enrollment Period
Frequently Asked Questions about Medigap Plan G
Full Medicare Supplement Plan G Benefits Chart
Does Plan G cover prescription drugs?
Medicare Supplement Insurance plans do not cover prescription drugs.
Does Plan G cover the Part B deductible?
The Part B deductible is not covered.
Does Plan G cover Medicare Part B Excess Charges?
Part B excess charges are covered.
Does Plan G cover the Medicare Part A Deductible?
The Part A deductible is covered.
Is Plan G worth it?
You can evaluate the merits of Plan G based on the extent of its coverage:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance and hospital costs after Medicare runs out
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayments
- Part B excess charges
- Health care abroad up to plan limits – up to 50 000 in foreign travel emergency benefits
- First three pints of blood
What is the difference between Plan G and N in Kentucky?
Plan G coverage includes the following medical expenses that Plan N does not:
- Medicare Part B excess charges
- Medicare Part B copayments
Does Plan G cover dental?
Plan G does not cover dental, but you may be eligible for discounted dental services.
What is Medicare Part G?
Medicare Part G is synonymous with Medicare Plan G for purposes of understanding how Medicare Supplement Insurance works. Between the alphabet soup of parts and plans, it certainly gets confusing.
- Original Medicare: Medicare Part A and Part B, which, combined, covers inpatient and outpatient care plus durable medical equipment
- Medicare Advantage plan: Medicare Part C
- Prescription drug coverage: Medicare Part D
- Medicare Supplement Insurance: Plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M and N
Does Plan G cover Silver Sneakers?
Silver Sneakers is not covered under Medicare Supplement insurance Plan G in Kentucky.
Ready to Learn More?
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the process of plan selection. We work closely with some of the nations top rated carriers such as Aetna, Cigna and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more or about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.