Medicare Supplement Plan G in Delaware is rapidly becoming the most popular of the 10 Medigap plans. If your eligibility for Medicare benefits was effective on or after January 1, 2020, you will find that Plan G offers more than any plan available. Plan F offers the additional benefit of the Part B deductible but is only available if you were newly eligible before January 1, 2020.
- Total Medicare Supplement Insurance enrollment in Delaware: 64,170
- Medicare Supplement Plan G in Delaware: 6,709
What Does Medicare Supplement Plan G Cover?
Original Medicare pays for a lot when it comes to your healthcare. On top of the Medicare-approved amounts that are covered by the Federal Medicare program in the United States, you can enjoy having these additional Medicare benefits covered if you sign up for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Delaware.
But here’s what Medigap Plan G will cover:
· Initial pints of blood
· Medicare Part A deductible
· Medicare Part A hospital costs
· Part A expenses
· Part A hospice care coinsurance
· Skilled nursing facility care
Benefits also pay these Medicare Part B costs:
· Charges over the amount Medicare allows – “Part B Excess Charges”
· Durable medical equipment
· Foreign travel emergency care (lifetime plan limits apply)
· Medicare Part B coinsurance and copays
Be advised that the Part B deductible will not be covered by Medigap Plan G in Delaware.
What is the Plan G Deductible in 2021?
The regular Medigap Plan G does not have a deductible. If you buy the high deductible version, the deductible amount is $2,370 in 2021.
What is the Monthly Premium for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Delaware?
Your premium will vary based on age, gender, location and whether or not you smoke.
Let’s say you are a 65-year-old nonsmoking female who lives in New Castle, zip code 19720. You can expect your Medicare Plan G rates to be:
- In the range of $122.13 to $198.44
- About $148.74 per month on average
Medicare Supplement Insurance companies take one of three approaches to establish insurance plan rates:
- Community-Rated: The insurer evaluates risk based on the health and demographics of policyholders in a given geographic area or the entire population covered under a specific policy.
- Issue-Age: Your premium is based on your age at the time the policy was issued. Your premium may increase after you buy the policy based on factors other than age.
- Attained-Age: The insurer will schedule premium increases as you attain a new age. So with each passing year, your monthly Medicare Supplement Plan G rates will rise.
When can I enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan G?
These are the sign-up periods most people are familiar with:
- Initial Enrollment Period to sign up for the federal Medicare program (Medicare Part A and Part B)
- Open Enrollment Period to join, change or leave a Medicare Advantage (MA) or drug plan
- Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period for existing Medicare Advantage plan members to change to another MA plan or return to Original Medicare and sign up for Medicare Part D
Medigap Open Enrollment is a six-month period that usually starts at age 65. Delaware is one of the states where the law allows a Medicare beneficiary with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) to sign up before age 65.
During Medigap open enrollment:
- You can purchase any Medigap plan sold in Delaware.
- Medical underwriting cannot influence the price.
If you have guaranteed issue rights, you can sign up outside open enrollment and be guaranteed a Medigap policy that covers your pre-existing health conditions. An example is if your plan no longer covers your service area. Feel free to consult with our insurance agents to determine if your situation qualifies for Medigap protection.
If you apply for Medicare Supplement Insurance outside open enrollment and do not have guaranteed issue rights:
- You can be denied based on your health conditions.
- If you are approved, you can be charged a higher rate.
- Your plan options may be limited.
You must have Medicare Part B to sign up for Medicare Supplement Insurance plans. Some people defer signing up when they first become eligible for Medicare because they have group health insurance coverage through an employer. If this applies to you, then your open enrollment period will be delayed until you have Part B.
What Is the Difference Between Plan G and Plan G With a High Deductible?
The high deductible option requires that you pay for Medicare-covered costs up to the annual deductible before the plan will pay out anything. In 2021, the deductible amount is $2,370.
Benefits for the traditional and high deductible plan are the same:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance plus hospital costs up to plan limits
- Medicare Part B coinsurance for outpatient medical services and certain medical equipment
- First three pints of blood if unavailable for free from a blood bank
- Part A coinsurance or copayments for hospice services
- Coinsurance you would pay for a skilled nursing facility
- Part A deductible
- Part B excess charges
- Medical expenses incurred during foreign travel – up to 50 000 in foreign travel emergency benefits
The Medicare Part B premium does not count toward the deductible.
What is the Best Medicare Supplement Plan G in Delaware?
Plan G is standardized across all insurance companies. However, Medigap Plan G prices vary.
When you shop around, look for companies that demonstrate a high level of:
- Customer satisfaction
- Long-term standing in the insurance market
- Financial stability
Our insurance agency is equipped to offer almost any company’s Medigap policy. However, after a comparison based on the criteria above, we found the following insurers are highly rated, across the board, by reputable rating companies:
- Mutual of Omaha
Which is better, Plan F or Plan G?
How are Medigap Plan G and Plan F different?
The Part B deductible is covered under Plan F. For Plan G, this will be one of your out of pocket expenses.
Is Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G in Delaware cheaper than Plan F?
The absence of the Part B deductible benefit from Plan G coverage is reflected in a lower premium.
Which should I choose?
If you came into Medicare before January 1, 2020, you can choose Plan F or G. Your decision hinges on whether you prefer coverage for the Part B deductible or a lower Plan G premium.
What Is the Most Popular Medicare Supplement Plan in Delaware?
Here are five reasons why Plan G is highly popular:
- Best level of coverage for a new Medicare beneficiary
- Appreciable value when comparing benefits to cost
- Countrywide access to any doctor who accepts Medicare
- Coverage of Part B excess charges for any doctor who does not accept Medicare assignment
- Fills all gaps in Original Medicare aside from the Part B deductible, which is a low-cost item.
Frequently Asked Questions about Medigap Plan G
Full Medicare Supplement Plan G Benefits Chart
Does Plan G cover prescription drugs?
Prescription drug coverage is not a Medigap benefit. You can buy a Medicare-approved plan from a private insurer.
Does Plan G cover the Medicare Part B Deductible?
The Part B deductible is covered under Plan F, not G.
Does Plan G cover Medicare Part B Excess Charges?
Plan G covers Medicare Part B excess charges if your non-participating doctor charges above the Medicare approved amount.
Does Plan G cover the Medicare Part A Deductible?
Medicare Part A deductible is covered.
Is Plan G worth it?
When you compare Plan G to the other Medigap plans, you will find that Medicare Supplement Plan G covers all out of pocket costs except the Plan B deductible. We can provide you with Medicare Supplement plan quotes to see how the premiums stack up against these benefits so you can decide if it’s worth it.
What is the difference between Plan G and N in Delaware?
- Plan G covers all copays whereas Plan N requires you to pay up to $20 for office visits and up to $50 for emergency room visits.
- Plan G covers Part B excess charges, and Plan N does not.
- The premium for Plan N is lower.
Does Plan G cover dental?
Dental is not a standard benefit of Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G in Delaware.
What is Medicare Part G?
It is not uncommon to refer to Medicare Plan G as Medicare Part G. As a reminder:
- Medicare is made up of parts.
- Medigap is made up of plans.
Does Plan G cover Silver Sneakers?
Silver Sneakers is not a standard benefit of Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G in Delaware.
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the process of plan selection. We work closely with some of the nations top rated carriers such as Aetna, Cigna and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more or about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.