Medicare Supplement Plan A is the first plan you can choose if you’re interested in Medicare Supplement insurance. This is one of the best options if you’re looking for a plan with a lower premium. If you’re hoping to enhance your Original Medicare coverage with a Medigap policy that offers basic benefits, Medicare Supplement Plan A might be something to consider. This quick guide is here to help you learn more about the Medicare Supplement costs, coverage, and benefits to make the best decision.
What Is Covered by Medicare Supplement Plan A?
These four things are covered 100 percent without any plan limits:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance payments for inpatient hospital care for up to an additional 365 days after your Medicare benefits are exhausted
- Medicare Part A hospice care coinsurance and copayments
- Medicare Part B copayments and Medicare Part B coinsurance
- The first 3 pints of blood when needed for a medical procedure
All providers are required to offer this plan. Also, know that one Medicare Supplement plan is the same from insurance company to insurance company, no matter which insurance agency you choose to purchase your health insurance.
What Is Not Covered by Medicare Supplement Plan A?
You’ll need to be prepared for these out-of-pocket expenses:
- Medicare Part A deductible amount
- Medicare Part B deductible amount
- Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance
- Medicare Part B excess charges
- Foreign travel emergency costs
How Much Does Medicare Supplement Plan A Cost?
Here are sample rates for a 65-year-old non-tobacco female living in Georgia:
- Plan A price range: $111.00 – $126.40
What Companies Sell Medicare Supplement Plan A?
At My Medigap Plans, our licensed insurance agents work with many insurance companies to find the best rates for our visitors.
In our opinion, the best providers are:
Key features to consider when comparing companies:
- Top financial strength and ratings
- Long history in the health industry
- Great tools and ease of access at all points of the process
- Great customer service
- Competitive rates and stability over time
- Customer satisfaction
Does Medigap Plan A Cover Prescription Drugs?
Unfortunately, prescription drug coverage is not included with the benefits of any Medigap policy. If you want to enjoy these benefits, you should look into signing up for prescription drug coverage through Medicare Part D. Signing up for prescription drug benefits can save you a lot of money on medication costs.
When Can I Enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan A?
The best time to enroll is during your Medigap Open Enrollment Period.
These are the main two benefits you can enjoy if you enroll during this time:
- You cannot get turned down because of medical underwriting.
- You cannot be charged a higher monthly premium because of medical underwriting.
Even though Medicare beneficiaries should sign up for a Medicare Supplement plan during this period, you can still sign up if you are outside your Open Enrollment Period. You will be subject to medical underwriting, though.
We specialize in guiding Medicare beneficiaries through their Medicare insurance options. We work with some of the nation’s top-rated Medigap carriers to ensure you get the best possible service. Review our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart and look deeper at the plans. Additionally, you can call us today to learn more or request a quote online.