Best Medicare Supplement Plans in Colorado – F, G & N Benefits
Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Colorado cover the out-of-pocket expenses that are your responsibility after Original Medicare insurance pays out. Those expenses are referred to as “gaps” in Original Medicare coverage. Some of the gaps include excess charges, coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles.
When you enroll in one of the Medicare Supplement plans in Colorado, you pay one premium to cover those gaps. That’s why the plans are referred to as Medigap policies. You’re eligible to apply for Colorado Medicare Supplement insurance plans after you turn 65 and are enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B. There are other rules and deadlines that apply, so it’s never too soon to study the plans and compare rates online.
Best Types of Medicare Supplement Plans in Colorado
There are 10 standardized Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Colorado. You can also enroll in a high-deductible version of Medigap Plan F. Each plan is labeled with a letter. All plans for sharing a letter must offer the same benefits. All insurance companies are authorized to determine their own rates, so Medigap premiums can vary from one Medicare insurance company to another.
Choosing the best Medicare Supplement plan in Colorado is a personal decision. There are two things that you should do prior to applying for Medigap plans in Colorado:
- Compare the terms of coverage for each of the Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Colorado. Insurance companies aren’t required to offer all 10 plans. You can see which plans are offered by the leading agencies by using online rates comparison tools. Once you know which plans are readily available in Colorado, you can study the benefits list to see what each plan will offer you as a beneficiary.
- Compare rates for the best Medigap plans in Colorado. You can do this in minutes with an online comparison tool that includes rates for the leading authorized insurance companies.
Medicare Supplement insurance plans allow you to see the doctor of your choice throughout the United States. Medigap policies also cover emergency healthcare when you’re traveling abroad. Premiums can vary significantly between Medigap policies, and you don’t want to pay for more coverage than you need. The best Medicare Supplement plan in Colorado is the one that fits your lifestyle and healthcare needs. Study the benefits and choose wisely to enhance your benefits through the Medicare program.
You should be aware of what is not covered by a Supplement, too. They are not stand-alone plans like Medicare Advantage plans are. Instead, they work in conjunction with Medicare. This means that Medicare Part D prescription drug plans are not included. You can sign up for your own prescription drug coverage, though, so that you’ll be covered.
The Medicare Part B premium also is not included with your Supplement plan. You will still have to pay this separately, just as you would if you did not have Supplemental coverage.
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan F in Colorado:
Many beneficiaries are looking for plan options that offer the most coverage throughout the calendar year. You’ll have little to worry about with Medigap Plan F in Colorado. Of all of the Supplemental Medicare plans you can choose from, Plan F offers the most coverage, including these things:
- Part A hospital coinsurance
- Hospital costs up to 365 days after benefits through Original Medicare are exhausted
- Part A hospice care copays or coinsurance
- Part A deductible
- Part B deductible
- Part B preventive office visit coinsurance
- Part B coinsurance or copays
- Excess charges for Medicare Part B
- First three pints of blood needed for a medical procedure
- Coinsurance for care in a skilled nursing facility
- Limited foreign travel emergency care
If you think Plan F is right for you, know that it’s the same from company to company. The same is true with Plan G, Plan N and all of the other Supplemental plans.
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan G in Colorado:
Medigap Plan G in Colorado is an ideal health insurance option for those who want robust coverage but who may want slightly cheaper monthly premiums. The coverage and benefits for Medigap Plan G are almost identical to the coverage of Plan F, but this plan is a little cheaper.
- Does NOT cover Medicare Part B deductible
Benefits of Medicare Supplement Plan N in Colorado:
It’s true that many people prefer Medicare Supplemental insurance plans that offer a lot of coverage, such as Plans F and G. Others, though, prefer health plans that offer some coverage but that are a little cheaper.
You could be hoping to keep your monthly premiums low, and you might not have major healthcare needs. You may not mind some cost-sharing for your medical services. If these things are true, the benefits of Medigap Plan N in Colorado are worth your consideration. It’ll help you reduce out of pocket costs for your health care costs on top of your basic Medicare benefits, but your monthly premiums should be lower.
- Does NOT cover Part B Deductible
- Does NOT cover Excess Charges for Part B
- Requires $20 copay for office visits
- Requires $50 copay for Emergency room visits
Medicare Supplement Plans in Colorado: When Can I Enroll?
Once you’ve enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B and the month of your 65th birthday has arrived or you are under age 65 and Medicare eligible due to a disability, you’re eligible to apply for Medicare Supplement insurance plans in Colorado. Your Initial Enrollment Period starts the first day of your birthday month and lasts for six months. During this period, you have the following Guaranteed Issue Rights:
- You can apply for any of the Medigap plans in Colorado, and the insurance company is legally required to accept you.
- The insurance company cannot consider your medical history or pre-existing conditions when determining your rates.
If you have a medical condition that typically requires you to pay high insurance rates, you will receive the best premiums by applying during the Medigap Open Enrollment Period. If you don’t enroll in Medigap during that period, you have two options:
- Qualify for a special enrollment period. You will receive the same Guaranteed Issue Rights during a special period, but you must meet strict criteria to qualify. Special periods are much shorter than the Initial Enrollment Period, so select the best Medicare Supplement plan in Colorado and apply quickly.
- Apply for Medicare Supplement insurance plans at any time. If you’re enrolled in Original Medicare insurance, you have the right to apply for a Medigap policy. Just keep in mind that you won’t receive Guaranteed Issue Rights if you apply outside of an open enrollment period. You’re likely to receive higher rates, and the insurance company may deny you coverage.
Medicare Supplement Plans in Colorado: Enrollment Statistics
- The five largest counties in Colorado are Denver County, El Paso County, Arapahoe County, Jefferson County, and Adams County.
- There were approximately 550,000 ColoradoOriginal Medicare beneficiaries in 2018.
- More than 300,000 Colorado Medicare recipients enrolled in Medicare Advantage or Medigap plans in 2018.
- In 2015, more than 150,000 Medicare beneficiaries were enrolled in Medicare Supplement plans in Colorado. Approximately 70 percent of those Medigap enrollees chose Plan F.
Colorado Medicare Resources
- The current Guide to Medigap Policies in Colorado from the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies
- List of Regional SHIP offices in Colorado for seniors who need Medicare counseling and guidance
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
In addition to checking out the resources above, we welcome you to give us a call. Then, you can talk to one of our licensed insurance agents about all of your options for enhancing your coverage through Medicare.
Related Topics for Comparing Medicare Supplement Companies and Plans in Colorado
My Medigap Plans is a rapidly growing resource for Medicare beneficiaries. We specialize in educating consumers on their options and guiding them through the process of plan selection. We work closely with some of the nations top rated carriers such as Aetna, Cigna and Mutual of Omaha. Compare our list of the 10 Best Medicare Supplement Insurance Companies or take a deeper look at the plans by reviewing our Medicare Supplement Plans Comparison Chart. Learn more or about Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plans, or request a Medicare Supplement Plan Quote.