Best Medicare Plans in Maine
Medicare in Maine is a federal government program that provides individuals who are 65 or older or individuals who have been on disability for at least two years with health care coverage. If you are eligible for Medicare in Maine or if you will be eligible for Medicare soon, you may want to learn a little more about the federal Medicare program and the additional plan options for health plans that are available to enhance your Medicare coverage.
Overview of Medicare in Maine
First, you are going to need to sign up for Medicare Part A. You probably will not have to pay a premium for Medicare Part A. This is your hospital insurance, and it will help pay for costs when you have to go to the hospital or when you need hospice care.
For more typical, everyday medical expenses and medical services — such as doctor’s office visits — you’re going to need Medicare Part B. Medicare Part B, which is a medical insurance plan through the U.S. government, does have a Medicare Part B monthly premium, but you’ll probably find that it’s worth it to pay this premium so that you will be covered.
Once you’re enrolled in Original Medicare Part A and Part B, you’ll probably see that Medicare in Maine does pay for a lot of medical expenses. However, Medicare plans in Maine can also be purchased by beneficiaries in Maine so that they can enhance their coverage. If you are one of the Medicare beneficiaries in Maine, learning more about these plans and how they can enhance your Maine Medicare benefits and save on healthcare costs is definitely a smart idea. We’re here to help you do just that. We can help you learn more about Medicare Supplement insurance and other health insurance options from top companies like Aetna, Cigna, and Mutual of Omaha.
Enrollment Statistics for Medicare in Maine
If your Initial Medicare Enrollment Period is coming up soon or if you just find the topic of Medicare in Maine to be interesting, you may want to know more about Medicare and Medicare beneficiaries in Maine. These are a few fast facts:
- There were 336,322 Maine beneficiaries of Medicare in 2018.
- Just over 100,000 of these Maine beneficiaries of Medicare had Maine Medicare Advantage plans the same year.
- Many individuals who were not covered by Medicare Advantage had Medigap policies and Part D prescription drug plans to enhance their coverage and help them save money on copays, medication and more.
Best Types of Medicare Plans in Maine
Many beneficiaries of Maine Medicare insurance are concerned about how much they will have to pay for things like deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance. This is a valid concern, but as a beneficiary of Maine Medicare insurance, you have options. These are the different types of plans that you can compare and consider if you would like to enhance your Maine Medicare benefits:
- Medicare Supplement Plans in Maine – These Medicare plans in Maine are also sometimes known as Medigap plans. They work with Original Medicare insurance and fill in your gaps in coverage. Look at a complete description of benefits for each plan so that you know what to expect. Also, be aware that you’ll still have to pay your Part B premium in addition to paying the monthly premium for your Supplement plan.
- Medicare Advantage Plans – These Medicare plans in Maine are actually used as an alternative to Original Medicare insurance. Also known as Medicare Part C, there are sometimes great perks included for your rates, such as wellness benefits, vision coverage, dental coverage, hearing coverage, and prescription drug coverage. Many are HMO or PPO plans and have service area network restrictions.
- Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans – Medicare Part D is a type of stand-alone prescription drug coverage that helps pay for medication. There is a Medicare Part D late enrollment penalty that you may have to pay if you don’t sign up for one of the Part D plans as soon as you’re eligible.
- Special Needs Plans – These are special plans for people with certain chronic, serious health conditions.
Before you sign up for any of these Medicare plans in Maine, you should compare benefits and look for the best possible insurance company. This will help you find the best plan with the best benefits and most affordable rates for premiums.
Medicare Resources in Maine
If you’d like to learn more about Medicare in Maine, check out these state and U.S. government resources:
- Maine SHIP
- MainCare (Medicaid)
- Extra Help with Medicare and Prescription Drug Costs: The Medicare Savings Program for Maine
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
You can use our website to take a look at a Medicare Supplement plans comparison chart or to shop for Medicare Supplement plan quotes. You can even give us a call and talk to one of our licensed insurance agents for one-on-one help!